cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trwagner1
Engaged Sweeper
I'm very curious how this can be used with VPN users and laptop users who rarely connect to your network.

We have one central location and have several off-site employees who work from home. Those users are in various parts of the country.

They use a Cisco VPN solution to connect back to the central office.

If the current method of reporting depends on lsclient to execute and contact the server, and then the server contacts the client... is there an alternate method to collect data from machines which don't run login scripts? I see there's a schedule scan in the gui console. However, I'm not sure that scheduled scanning appropriate in this case because they may or may not be online when that schedule triggers.

Or, perhaps I'm not understanding how the scheduled scan works from the gui console. Can it scan as soon as the PC is observed on the network?

Thanks

Ted
3 REPLIES 3
trwagner1
Engaged Sweeper
One option I'm looking at is using the Cisco VPN client to run the vbscript. The Cisco client has a place to put application to run once there's a connection. However, you can only place one app there at a time. So, this work around wouldn't work for everyone using it, but it may work for us.

Ted
trwagner1
Engaged Sweeper
No, they just connect to the VPN and run whatever application they need. Typically it's the Goldmine CRM product or the outlook client.

Is there a way to change the scheduled scan interval from days to hours? To me this could be a work around.

If there was a way to specify a switch or something on machines you place in the scheduled scan table to scan when next visible, this would work. Say it scans the local computer browse list every x number of hours. If the computer scheduled to be scanned is in the browse list on that cycle, and it's reached its due time for its next scan, then it scans it. Maybe this could be a feature enhancement.

Ted
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
If the current method of reporting depends on lsclient to execute and contact the server, and then the server contacts the client... is there an alternate method to collect data from machines which don't run login scripts? I see there's a schedule scan in the gui console. However, I'm not sure that scheduled scanning appropriate in this case because they may or may not be online when that schedule triggers.

This is all correct.

When your users connect to the vpn, do they have to start a program, or something ...
If yes you can let them start a bat file. for example. (pseudocode)

connect to vpn
if connect succesful then
lsclient servername
end if