cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Complete n00b to Lansweeper here. Just installed today, version 3.1. Reasonably n00b to LAN's in general 😕

Have a simple home network from connecting three PCs via Linksys broadband router. IPs are static at 192.168.1.10 (Lansweeper server machine), 192.168.1.11 (client) and 192.168.1.12 (client). All machines are Windows XP Pro SP3 + all post hotfixs via m$ update. All are defined as "workgroup" machines as they have no domain. Each machine's logged on user is an administrator of the local machine.

In addition, my work laptop which DOES belong to a corporate domain, comes onto my home network as 192.168.1.13 (via DHCP). My domain userid is a member of the administrator's group. I had hoped to inventory the laptop, but that might be more difficult due to corporate security policies... we can come back to this one later. I'd like to get my own machines inventoried first.

Server machine has inventoried itself and that is the only machine which appears in Lansweeper's web console and GUI.

All machines can be pinged via computer name and by 192.168.x.x IP address.

There is no reverse DNS lookup on the IP in my home network.

I have run Connection Tester from the Lansweeper server machine, on all three client machines by computer name and by IP address. In all six cases the result is the same:

Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
The network path was not found.
----------------------------------------------
Remote WMI access test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote \\<IP or computername here from test>\c$ access test OK

On all three machines the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is set to automatic and is started.

I have been through any and all the threads here, I have changed DCOM properties, DCOM security, Group Policy remote access administation settings, I've tried everything I've run across here and out on the 'net in a more general scenario, I still cannot get LSCLIENT to connect from the three client machines.

Sorry if I'm overlooking somethng obvious due to being complete n00b. PLEASE point me to posts or other information I may have missed in my searches.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks and regards,
--appyface
12 REPLIES 12
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

Did you add any computers to the scan schedule in the lsmanage interface?
Some other users have reported this problem.
Lansweeper wrote:
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

Did you add any computers to the scan schedule in the lsmanage interface?
Some other users have reported this problem.

Thanks for reply.

I have been trying to find a way to do that (manually add other machines) but so far have not found out how to do that? After original install I could not get the server machine to scan itself, so I ran LSCLIENT right on the server machine and that's how I got the server itself to show up. All seemed fine until the reboot. Now LSCLIENT won't run on the server machine either...

If I manually start the lansweeper server, then very quickly go to http://192.168.1.10:9524, I get the 'successful' report. But right after that lansweeper service goes down, and of course I can no longer get a successful report.

Other ideas or thoughts appreciated. TIA,

--appyface
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Still trying to figure this out... no luck so far.

Worse yet, after rebooting the server machine, it can't be inventoried either now. I found this entry in the Lansweeper Service folder's Errorlog.txt file:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
7/6/2008 1:01:23 PM : Database connection successful, starting up service

7/6/2008 1:01:24 PM
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToString(Object Value)
at Lansweeper31.starter.ScheduleCheck()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lansweeper Server service is not running.

I have verified with SQL Server Configuration Manager, the named instance (LANSWEEPER) is up and running, and does have both TCP/IP and named pipes configured and enabled.

I have verified with SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration, the database engine for the LANSWEEPER named instance is set to allow "Local and Remote Connections" -> "Using both TCP/IP and named pipes".

When the Lansweeper Service *was* running yesterday, before I rebooted, the server machine inventoried itself, but LSCLIENT did not succeed from the other machines. Now the Lansweeper Server service starts but terminates since the reboot.

???

I am complete n00b so please forgive if I am overlooking something I should be checking.

TIA for help,

--appyface