→ Having trouble accessing our new support portal or creating a ticket? Please notify our team here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljesse
Engaged Sweeper
We were working on moving our Lansweeper server from one machine to another. We made sure Lansweeper was up-to-date on Machine A, installed it on Machine B, connected to the SQL database (on an entirely different machine), and all was fine. We were able to access Lansweeper Web Console from both machines, but didn't need two Lansweeper servers.

When I uninstalled Lansweeper from Machine A, it seems to have taken the database with it, deleted from our SQL server.

I have a flat backup of the .mdf and .ldf files for lansweeperdb from the SQL server that are a couple of weeks old--we're fine with the loss of data, if that's the only option.

I uninstalled Lansweeper from Machine B, and attached our backup in SQL. However, when I open Lansweeper Web Console, I receive this message:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'lansweeperuser'.
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at DreamweaverCtrls.DataSet.DoInit()

The user "lansweeperuser" does exist in Lansweeperdb>Security>Users, but I notice it has no "Login name" associated with it. We had not modified that user in any way, relying on our own SQL credentials for linking the database.

Since I have the database with information in it, up-to-date as of a couple of weeks ago, we aren't panicking, but we're curious how to reattach it to an installation now.
4 REPLIES 4
ljesse
Engaged Sweeper
Your support was able to fix the problem within an hour of sending the email. The "lansweeperuser" user needed to be created under SQL's security object, while I was trying to put it directly into lansweeperdb's security.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Please contact us by e-mail for this problem (lansweeper@hemoco.com)
ljesse
Engaged Sweeper
I tried making the user "lansweeperuser" while that entry (from my first post, which was missing its Login Name association) still existed. SQL returned the error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Create failed for User 'lansweeperuser'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22+((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414+)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+User&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

'lansweeperuser' is not a valid login or you do not have permission. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15007)

After deleting the "lansweeperuser" user entry, and attempting to create the user, I am getting the same message.

If deleting that user entry turns out to be a mistake, I still have an unmodified copy of my backup I've been working with. I can delete the database I just modified, and reattach again.

I am logged into SQL using SQL authentication. I notice the UserID I use to log into SQL is listed as the "Login Name" for the user "dbo"

Thanks!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Create a new sql user : lansweeperuser
Make it owner of the lansweeperdb database
use the same password as in file lansweeperservice.exe.config