cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrobinson
Engaged Sweeper
I've been having problems with Lansweeper since upgrading and finally bit the bullet after not being able to diagnose the error messages I was getting. I blew away sql and lansweeper and did fresh installs. I am still getting information from only about 8% of machines. These are a few of the messages in the error log. They seem to refer to lansweeper31, which isn't installed. All the other message are machine specific versions of these.

11/10/2008 3:46:58 PM : HP-XP-MC-6
System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Connect()
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.GetWMI(String Querystr, String Table, clsComputer mycomputer, String section, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/10/2008 3:46:58 PM : HP-XP-MC-6
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706D3): The authentication service is unknown. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D3)
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Connect()
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.GetWMI(String Querystr, String Table, clsComputer mycomputer, String section, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)

11/11/2008 1:25:10 AM
System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryOperationException: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800705B4): This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName)
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest.GetForest(DirectoryContext context)
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest.GetCurrentForest()
at Lansweeper31.starter.ActiveScan()

I want to add that I am also getting the error The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA). Remote access is enabled on the PC's, the firewall is off and my account is a domain admin.
6 REPLIES 6
Jrobinson
Engaged Sweeper
It tests fine using the hostname and IP address but this is whay I get using FQDN. Scan's started with the lsclient work fine also. The product is great by the way. If there was one request, it would be for documentation on how Lansweeper works, especially in an AD environment.

Ping test FAILED
An exception occurred during a Ping request.
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
The network path was not found.

Remote WMI access test FAILED
The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Jrobinson wrote:
It tests fine using the hostname and IP address but this is whay I get using FQDN. Scan's started with the lsclient work fine also. The product is great by the way. If there was one request, it would be for documentation on how Lansweeper works, especially in an AD environment.

Ping test FAILED
An exception occurred during a Ping request.
Remote registry test FAILED
The network path was not found.

Remote WMI access test FAILED
The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

So everything works great except connecting to FQDN names (computer.domain.local)
This is caused by dns problems or incorrect dns configuration on the clients.

lsclient scans back based on Ip address.
Active scanning uses the FQDN name of the computer and resolves this to an IP (this is what's failing in your case)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can download the connection tester from this thread : http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst251_Client-problems-gt-use-the-connection-tester-first.aspx

Test it first on the affected machine using hostname, FQDN and IP address.
Jrobinson
Engaged Sweeper
I changed the active scanning back to 0 and the errors have returned
Jrobinson
Engaged Sweeper
I changed the active scanning value to 0 and most of the problems seem to have cleared up. I still have errors using the action screen even after following the fixes in the forum, but one thing at a time.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration><appSettings>
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=CP-2K3-EUSSERVR\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=Lansweeper32;User ID=lssqluser32;Password=mysecretpassword0*"/>
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="20"/>
<add key="ListenPort" value="9524"/>
<add key="Activescanning" value="0" />
</appSettings></configuration>
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Which is the most common error on your clients, is it the RPC error?
When you run the connectiontester, do you see any errors?