cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
I saw a bunch of posts on this same error but none of those solutions have worked for me yet (very possible I missed one).

Error: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

Client: Windows Server 2003

Troubleshooting:
1. Connection Tester works fine
2. Checked the DCOM Security settings and 'Enable Distributed COM' per a couple of other threads
3. Made sure the account had security to the server. The account is a domain admin. I check the effective security on the system and the service account has full rights on the box. I manually executed a WMI query while logged in as the account that the service runs as.
4. DNS and RDNS is working
5. No firewall on the machine (windows or otherwise)

Any Advice?
8 REPLIES 8
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
Assumptions: You have the "Group Policy Management" interface installed. You are going to create a new Group Policy Object for this code.

Some information: This process will actually work in a 2008 domain, however, 2008 Domains have the ability to manage the local administrators group builtin, so you don't have to use a script. Depending on how you have your group policies set to kick off and how you have the machines setup to scan (I am using Group Policy to scan with lsclient) you might need to reboot twice for this process to work (I have to reboot twice on some machines, but not others, depends which script kicks off first).

Script: This is a script I made with a lot of information from Microsoft's "Hey, Scripting Guy!" pages. The script will be in the Code block. Save this with a .vbs extension. You must update 2 lines based on your environment, line 9 and 11 (your domain (and yes I know I could detect the domain name in some environments - but not mine) and username). As with any script, make sure you test it before you use it. I will not be held responsible for anything negative this script does (gotta have a little disclaimer). It is a very simple script that attaches to a machine, checks to see if the user is in the local administrators group and adds them if they are not.

'--------------------
'The script will check to see if a group is part of the local
'administrators group and if it is not, add it.
'--------------------
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strLocalCompName = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%computername%")

'Define domain name here here
strDomainName = "<--ENTER DOMAIN NAME HERE-->"
'Define username here
strUser = "<--ENTER USER NAME HERE-->"
strStatus = "Not Found"

'Attach to the local Administrators group
Set objGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & strLocalCompName & "/Administrators")

'Loop through all objects in the Group
For Each objUser In objGroup.Members
'Check to see if the object is the one we want to add
If InStr(LCase(objUser.ADsPath), LCase("WinNT://" & strDomainName & "/" & strUser)) Then
strStatus = "Found"
End If
Next

'Was the group found, if not add it
If strStatus = "Found" Then
'Do Nothing
Else
objGroup.Add "WinNT://" & strDomainName & "/" & strUser & ""
End If

Group Policy Setup:
1. Open "Group Policy Management".
2. Right-Click on the OU You want to create the GP on, choose "Create and Link a GPO Here..."
3. Give it a name
4. Right-Click on the new policy and choose "Edit..."
5. Expand "Computer Configuration" --> "Windows Settings" --> Select Scripts
6. Right Click Startup, choose Properties
7. Click the "Show Files..." button near the bottom of the page
8. Save the VBS script to this location (you don't HAVE to save it here, but it needs to be somewhere where the computer account can access)
9. Go back to the Startup Properties window, Click "Add..."
10. Browse to, or type in the path name of the file (if you saved it to the spot opened in 7 and 8, you can just type in the script name, the full path probabaly won't appear if you browse to it anyway)
11. Exit out of all of open windows by clicking Apply or OK (or both) so that what you did is saved
12. Close the Group Policy and Group Policy Management Screen
13. *If you have more than 1 domain controller* Wait for Replication to kick off
14. Test

Again - I have the lsclient.exe executing via a script in another group policy. Depending on which one kicks off first, it may require 2 reboots. Or if you don't want to reboot, you can try to force the computer policies to re-execute (see the "GPUpdate" command).
pworlton
Engaged Sweeper
Good point. I should have mentioned that while we have a mix of 2000/2003 servers, our domain is at 2000 level.
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
The answer would depend on what your domain functional level is at. 2000/2003 or 2008. (its much easier to do in 2008 but I know how to do it in 2000/2003 as well). To find out what mode your in, open Active Directory Domains and Trusts (on a domain controller or computer with the Admin Pak installed), find your internal domain name, right click, choose properties, look for Domain Functional Level (this is the same in all versions of AD).
pworlton
Engaged Sweeper
Could you explain how you implemented the group policy? I have the same problem here. Lansweeper sees all the computers I've logged into, but it doesn't scan them (all but the server come up "never scanned").
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
Just to throw it out there...

Using Group Policy to explicitly add the service account running lansweeper to the local administrators group of each machine has fixed all of my scanning issues. Not 100% sure why just being a member of being Domain Admins (which are obviously a part of the Local Administrators Group) wouldn't work, but this has fixed my issue.
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
So just for giggles, I went in to one of the client machines and specifically added the service account to the administrators (instead of just relying on the group membership of Domain Admins - I've seen this issue with other software in the past, it has something to do with the way Windows handles nested grouping in somethings like the COM objects, but I've never pursued with M$) on the local machine. After I did that, it allowed to scan fine.

I should be able to push that change out via the same Group Policy that I am using to execute the lsclient, thats the next thing to try.
mkarsten
Engaged Sweeper
Every machine except the lansweeper server. Only about 10 right now. Combination of XP SP2, SP3 and Server 2003 SP2.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
How many machines are affected by this?