cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cojast
Engaged Sweeper III
I fgure this is easy... but can someone tell me where Lansweeper looks at for the serial number that it displays in the system configuration page?

Some of my computers show up with serial numbers and some are blank or say need to fill in.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You need to check the "lock against scanning" checkbox next to the serial number field to ensure that your manual changes are not overwritten.

In terms of computer name changes: currently, the correct way to rename a computer is to first rename it in Lansweeper and then rename the machine itself. You can rename a computer by browsing to its Lansweeper webpage and then hitting the Edit Asset button (5.0) or by right-clicking on it in the Lansweeper configuration console under Lansweeper/Scanned Computers and selecting Rename Computer (4.2).

When the machine is rescanned, its existing database entry will then simply be updated. If you don’t first rename the machine in Lansweeper, a new database entry will be generated for it. Lansweeper currently uses the combination domain name/computer name as a unique Windows computer identifier.
cojast
Engaged Sweeper III
If i manually edit the asset and put the serial number in will the change follow the asset if the name changes...

Lets say i have PC1 which is in Dept1 with serial number...123xyz.

If that PC is moved to Dept2 and the PC gets assigned to that user and the PC name is changed to PC2 will the next time lansweeper scans that PC will it still show the right serial number or will it go back to the "Fill in by OEM"

I am assuming that lansweeper identifys by name and not a uniqueID is that correct?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper retrieves the serial from the Win32_ComputerSystemProduct WMI class. If you know the serial, you can also manually add/override it by hitting the Edit Asset button on the asset's Lansweeper webpage.
cojast
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks..

I have ran the CMD before and i get back "Needs to be filled in by O.E.M." But i cant find anywhere in the Bios or registry that has that phrase so that i can add the serial number to it. So Lansweeper can pick it up
blighter
Engaged Sweeper III
Oh actually incase you mean the serial of the machine itself? (like a Dell ServiceTag?)

In which case it would get it from the BIOS info using WMI.

Here's a command that you can run in CMD that would do the same thing:

wmic bios get serialnumber
blighter
Engaged Sweeper III
Configuration -> Product Keys