cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NadimDaher
Engaged Sweeper II

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there are any additional configurations for Apple macOS scanning to include assigned users for every MacBook machine and if possible (but not mandatory) to have a warranty status similar to Windows machines.

I can successfully see all the MacBooks in our organization with agentless scanning but no assigned user is available, therefore it's very hard to distinguish which machine belongs to who in LS.

Cheers!

Nadim

5 REPLIES 5
rom
Champion Sweeper III

do you use a management platform such as JAMF?

NadimDaher
Engaged Sweeper II

Yes, we use Mosyle for Apple MDM.

Cheers!

rom
Champion Sweeper III

Well, I'm not the expert on scanning iOS but I am pretty sure that Lansweeper gets the user info for that stuff only if the devices are enrolled in InTune for management. 

**This is not supported by support, so insert the 'you're on your own, don't screw up your database and don't say we didn't warn you' warning here - which is what they generally tell me***

What I do is make an API call to the MDM and pull information from it that Lansweeper doesn't get out-of-the-box - particularly user assignments.  Now - Lansweeper has custom fields, but only 20 of them.  Seems like a lot, until you do a lot of stuff like what I'm suggesting.  So, if I don't want to sacrifice one of those precious 20 fields, I will sneak the info in somewhere else on the asset page - for example, the 'description' field.

Here's an example pulled from JAMF - but I have the group it's in, versus the user - but you get the point.

rom_0-1666984769391.png

That's the easiest way to do it, but you won't get to drill down to the active directory user like you would be able to if it were in InTune -  without some heavy duty SQL writing (based on AD Object GUID probably) which is beyond my skill and I'd have to buy the DBA a drink or something...  but you could at least have a report and add that column to see the user

NadimDaher
Engaged Sweeper II

Hey Rom!

No worries, my skills are the same and I wish buying a drink for the DBA can solve it, hehe...

I am actually trying to figure out the API configuration as we speak, amazing recommendation! thanks!

I don't really need these much fields, as you mentioned, I only need to show the assigned user for the machine then to login to Mosyle and do couple of clicks to search for the machine SN and check the assigned user.

Checking if Mosyle and API are friends already...

Thanks Rom! will update you!

Nadim.

rom
Champion Sweeper III

A lot of API's have swagger files to import into Postman (a free app to test API stuff), which have the commands and stuff already preset.  If you figure that part out (you can youtube how to use postman), you can change the output of Postman to CURL, and batch the CURL commands to run and save the results to a JSON file.  SQL can open, validate, and read the JSON file and perform updates to asset records, so you could make a scheduled task to run the CURL, and a stored procedure in SQL to import the JSON and update the records.  Totally not supported, but, that's what I do for a poor-man's ETL (i.e. no SSIS needed, etc)