cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilian
Product Team
Product Team

Hi everyone!

Lansweeper is delighted to announce the availability of its new IT Agent in your Lansweeper Site, now in Preview. Track your hard-to-reach assets using the IT Agent which tracks the details of a single computer running Windows, Linux, or Apple MacOS and sends these directly to your Lansweeper Site.

How to access IT Agent in your Lansweeper Site

1. Open a browser and navigate to https://app.lansweeper.com.
  2. Choose the Lansweeper Site to which you want to link the IT Agent Discovery. 
  3. Go to Scanning > Discovery systems > Download installers/packages > IT Agent Discovery

A brief explanation

• Learn how to install/deploy IT Agent here.
  • After a successful installation, the IT Agent(s) will be shown in your Lansweeper Site in Scanning > Discovery systems.

• To see the asset data, you can open Inventory > All assets (and you can use the search/advanced filter on the top right to filter on the specific assets/installation where IT Agent is running)

Product comparison

Lansweeper Network Discovery vs Lansweeper IT Agent (Portable) Discovery

Topic

Summary

Discover all IT (and later OT) assets in your network

Get all details of the computers you know that have IT Agent Discovery installed and running as a background service or daemon.

Planned, not available yet. Get all details of the computers on which you run IT Agent as a foreground application. Ideal to be included in a logon script

Asset reach

Tracks both the machine running Network Discovery and discovers IT (and later OT) assets remotely

Local computer tracking where the IT Agent Discovery is running

Local computer tracking where the IT Agent Discovery is running

Credentials

Requires credentials to get all asset details remotely

Does not require credentials

Does not require credentials

Network access

Requires specific ports to be open on the assets to discover. See 

Few connectivity requirements. See 

An encryption key from a Lansweeper Network Discovery - Hub component. Either direct access to the hub or a location to store the discovery result file in, for later import.

Request for feedback

It's time for us to let you try and test this new feature. We hope this first version will give you an easy-to-deploy agent-based discovery.

Finally, we're all ears! Your feedback is valuable, and we'd love to hear it.

Feel free to share in the comments or share your logs and screenshots privately to preview@lansweeper.com

Kind regards,

Gilian De Raes
Product Manager | Lansweeper

93 REPLIES 93

@brandon_jones QA confirmed IT Agent v0.23.2 works on Windows 11 23H2 (22631.4037). Can you review that you're running the installer as an administrator?

gokou340
Engaged Sweeper

Can it be configured to have assets scanned with this new tool to write back to the on-prem installation?

@gokou340 When you install the OT sensor, you can already redirect the hub to either LS Site or an on prem installation.

We're first finishing the link and configuration with LS Site before we consider syncing IT assets to an on prem installation.

I'm not sure I understand. Installing the IT Agent Discovery only gives me the option of using the cloud link.

@gokou340 ,

In case of IT Agent Discovery; you can only connect with LS Site using the cloud link at the moment.

We plan on releasing IT Agent Portable very soon which can send discovery results to the hub without the need of an installation. Likewise we'll add more parameters to the installers/packages of IT Agent so you can also send its discovery results to a hub.

After that, we'll review whether it's a good opportunity to have the hub send over IT assets to an on prem installation (like we're doing for OT assets).

sloomis
Engaged Sweeper

I ran into an issue this morning that I can't resolve, involving the Discovery Group update cadence. We are completely unable to modify the settings for the scheduled times, while being a site owner. Each time we change the cadence and try to save, we are getting an error that says "failed to update group". I fully understand that these features are in preview mode.

Hi @sloomis ,

Thanks for reporting this issue. It seems there's a bug with the "Default Group" group. Changing the auto update does work on all other groups though (so you could move your discovery systems to a new group and change the timing there. Meanwhile we'll have the bug for the default group fixed.

sloomis
Engaged Sweeper

This also does not work. You cannot delete the default group and then save. The same error, "failed to update group", appears and the default group remains.

george29
Engaged Sweeper III

it would be amazing to be able to produce a json file of asset data in a flat file for an asset that we could use an agent like this to process as well. one major gap for me right now is not being able to add additional interfaces to an asset to provide that single asset view. (clusters and special appliances that don't support snmp (ex: Pure Storage) )

Thanks for this product improvement. We plan on releasing IT Agent Portable soon (https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/product-discussions/new-capability-discover-more-asset-details-u...) where you can run a local discovery on demand (without installing anything) and which results into a discoveryfile. This file is encrypted however to avoid any tampering along the way.
I've created a new product improvement requires so we can evaluate a solution to edit the json file while providing the encryption key, so you could manually add extra data where required.