cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
primeillusion
Engaged Sweeper
Hello there Lansweeper forum!

As a (rookie) system administrator I'm trying to inventory our company's network. Since LanSweeper allows for custom fields, actions and queries it seems like a perfect tool, since aside from hard- and software data we're trying to keep track of costs, licenses and deprecation.

Our DHCP server isn't quite in sync with our DNS server, and also we have a class B network over multiple subnets. IP range scanning would be out of the question (since for every subnet LanSweeper would have to scan 65,536 addresses with a 2 second time-out) so I've decided to use Active scanning provided in the Premium version.

For some workstations (the ones that are turned off) this returns the WMI-error about the RPC service. That's why I'm wondering:

How does Active Scanning handle this? The settings page for Active Scanning seems a little light on options, so how do I set it to scan on an interval? Is that done automatically, perhaps? Or am I totally in the dark here?

Any help would be appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
primeillusion
Engaged Sweeper
Indeed, these workstations were offline. Most of the workstations that came online after the AD was polled for the first time, got picked up. All errors were resolved and the database was populated with accurate information about every system's internals.

So, people with big networks, expect a lot of your workstations to send back an error. A little patience is in order.

For every other RPC or WMI error follow the instructions LanSweeper passes. Also, I got this tip (for people who are sure everything is in working order, but still returning errors): http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst3851_WMI-Error-Fixes--Cannot-connect-to-DCOM-port-135-and-The-RPC-server-is-unavailable-0x800706BA.aspx

Thanks, admins and users! Great help.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can try http://www.lansweeper.com/documentation.pdf (you won't find the detailed active scanning details in there)
primeillusion
Engaged Sweeper
Awesome! Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I will look into it at work tomorrow.

Also, I hope this is not bad manners as a response to help, but the knowledgebase on the website is a little lacking in details like these. Is there a more detailed version somewhere, perhaps?

Thanks again!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
primeillusion wrote:

How does Active Scanning handle this? The settings page for Active Scanning seems a little light on options, so how do I set it to scan on an interval? Is that done automatically, perhaps? Or am I totally in the dark here?

Active scanning queries the domain controllers for recent logged on computers, if a computer is found it is added to the scanning queue. A computer is only scanned once at maximum every 8 hours by active scanning.
Other scanning methods don't look at this 8 hour limit.

If you restart the service it looks back on domain controllers for computers seen in the last 14 days (if these computers are offline this could cause rpc errors)
primeillusion
Engaged Sweeper
Also, I have used a local setup with most of the default setup options (installed SQL Express manually). This setup is using the LanSweeper built-in webserver, and I would like to restrict access to it. How do I go about doing that?
primeillusion wrote:
Also, I have used a local setup with most of the default setup options (installed SQL Express manually). This setup is using the LanSweeper built-in webserver, and I would like to restrict access to it. How do I go about doing that?

See this page: http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/restrict.aspx
You will need to upgrade the website to IIS