cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MustQ
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to generate Monitor "new assets" using the information from the report "Monitor: Information"?

I 'think' that the ideal mapping would be as follows:

assetname = MonitorModel (unless 'assetname' requires a unique field???)
Manuf = Manuf
Model = PC it is connected to
serial = serial
Manufactured date = Description

I am required to track the monitors of our business (about 100 monitors), and as such it would be ideal to be able to generate the assets in lansweeper 'automagically' either via sql or ??? so that I do not need to go one by one through the 'new asset" wizard

Your input on this is highly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
We do not currently provide support for turning scanned computer monitors into separate assets. This feature will be included in a future Lansweeper version, but we do not yet have a release date for it.
MustQ
Engaged Sweeper
Granted that there's no built in functionality, would there be a way to do this via SQL and "Fill in the blanks" with a numerical "Monitor #" (where # is +1 the previoius "monitor #")? I just want to generate the 100 assets or so automagically, and then I'll be happy to manually edit/tinker with them.

I completely see where you're coming from in that some manufacturers don't make it such that you can scan the serial via wmi, and others are lazy and only include partial serials, etc.

I think that the lansweeper comunity needs to accept a compromise on this front, and allow for generic auto-naming of assets. I'd be totally cool with a generic "monitor 1, monitor 2, etc" if it meant I didnt have to go and add 100 assets to the db manually :).

Anyway I 'get that' perhaps even from lansweeper's point of view that BECAUSE the data is unreliable, it'd be a mess for you guys to put this in as a 'default' feature. (heck I'd put bets on this being the reason that it hasn't already been implemented since lansweeper is not a new product and I'm sure this has been asked for countless times!) But as a 'forum post' of "run this sql script to generate monitors at your own discretion, you've been warned", I think that'd be very very awesome. (and eventually a toggle-able option in the settings).

Anyway, I'm on a vmware environment, I can easily take snapshots of our SQL server/backups of our db, and I am very willing to be a participant of any 'creative testing' if it'll mean that we can make progress on 'automagically creating assets' in this way.

Thanks!

Ryan
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
MustQ wrote:
I was wondering if there was a way to generate Monitor "new assets" using the information from the report "Monitor: Information"?

There is no built-in functionality for this at the moment. In a future Lansweeper version, we will likely turn monitors into separate assets during scanning, but we do not yet have a release date for this feature. The problem lies in uniquely identifying monitors, as a serial number cannot always be detected.