cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwamls
Engaged Sweeper
Our support team are trying to determine which users have installed a certain piece of software (Google Chrome) to their machines as they know several users already have, but Lansweeper is only showing it as being on 1 machine.

I've checked tblSoftware and there is indeed only a single record in there for this software, although there are a few more entries in tblProceses.

This has caused a few people to lose confidence with what information Lansweeper is returning - so I'm hoping it's just something I haven't set up correctly which means we're not scanning all the relevant parts of the registry - but despite hunting through the forums, I can't find anything.

Can anyone help?

Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I did some checking:
When you install chrome it registers itself in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome
(while all other software uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

What does that mean:
If you log on with a different user you can run Chrome but it won't be visible in the add/remove programs.
If the profile of the original user is deleted (or only temporary used for installs) the registry entry will be gone and the software won't show in any of the users add remove programs.
mwamls
Engaged Sweeper
Seemed odd that it was found on one PC, but not any others. I wondered if it was being installed "for current user" rather than "for all users" - or whether that would make a difference for Lansweeper anyway.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
mwamls wrote:
Seemed odd that it was found on one PC, but not any others. I wondered if it was being installed "for current user" rather than "for all users" - or whether that would make a difference for Lansweeper anyway.

We are not aware of the problem.
If possible could you export the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall to see if it's included there.
Cobra7
Champion Sweeper
You seem to be right. It's not showing up for us either and I know at least 4 people have it.

I checked the add/remove programs and it was there, rescanned the PC and Lansweeper still didn't show it. I decided to make a special report for it and found out it's not in the Program Files. My guess is that Google is installing it in a way Lansweeper does not see.

I'll have to do more research on this, but hopefully Lansweeper is already aware.