cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Complete n00b to Lansweeper here. Just installed today, version 3.1. Reasonably n00b to LAN's in general 😕

Have a simple home network from connecting three PCs via Linksys broadband router. IPs are static at 192.168.1.10 (Lansweeper server machine), 192.168.1.11 (client) and 192.168.1.12 (client). All machines are Windows XP Pro SP3 + all post hotfixs via m$ update. All are defined as "workgroup" machines as they have no domain. Each machine's logged on user is an administrator of the local machine.

In addition, my work laptop which DOES belong to a corporate domain, comes onto my home network as 192.168.1.13 (via DHCP). My domain userid is a member of the administrator's group. I had hoped to inventory the laptop, but that might be more difficult due to corporate security policies... we can come back to this one later. I'd like to get my own machines inventoried first.

Server machine has inventoried itself and that is the only machine which appears in Lansweeper's web console and GUI.

All machines can be pinged via computer name and by 192.168.x.x IP address.

There is no reverse DNS lookup on the IP in my home network.

I have run Connection Tester from the Lansweeper server machine, on all three client machines by computer name and by IP address. In all six cases the result is the same:

Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
The network path was not found.
----------------------------------------------
Remote WMI access test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote \\<IP or computername here from test>\c$ access test OK

On all three machines the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is set to automatic and is started.

I have been through any and all the threads here, I have changed DCOM properties, DCOM security, Group Policy remote access administation settings, I've tried everything I've run across here and out on the 'net in a more general scenario, I still cannot get LSCLIENT to connect from the three client machines.

Sorry if I'm overlooking somethng obvious due to being complete n00b. PLEASE point me to posts or other information I may have missed in my searches.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks and regards,
--appyface
12 REPLIES 12
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Well it's shame on me. How about adding it to the install documentation, and some other places besides... just in case someone else besides me, misses that one reference to it. It would have saved me hours of bother.

It's too bad I can't use it, it looks like a nice tool even for a little home network.

Thanks and regards,
--appyface
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
On the download page are requirements:

- Active directory domain or forest
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Is this documented somewhere? If it is and I missed it, shame on me. Please make it more prominent and add it to the setup installer documentation?

And if it isn't documented prominently and clearly, I would really ask that you do so. I have spend a LOT of hours trying to make this work.

Thanks and regards,
--appyface

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Without a domain or trust it won't work.
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
appyface wrote:
(...)All are defined as "workgroup" machines as they have no domain.(...)

(...)There is no reverse DNS lookup on the IP in my home network.(...)

Sorry, no domains here...

During the (re)install of Lansweeper I was prompted for a userid/password to use, I supplied it and saw "connecting... connected... success" (paraphrase) and the dialog moved on. I don't believe the password is wrong; however, I updated it in the service anyway. Still having the same problems.

--appyface
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Is your lansweeper service running under a domain account?
Could you try to set the password again manually in the services tab.
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
Here's the errorlog.txt from the service, now that I have wiped everything and started over.

First I used LSCLIENT on the server machine itself (192.168.1.10), it reports "Connecting... Success" but causes these two errors in the server log:

7/9/2008 5:43:50 AM : Database connection successful, starting up service

7/9/2008 5:46:28 AM : <servername here>
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007054B): The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007054B)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007054B): The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007054B)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
<servername here>\<server logon userid here>

FYI, the server logonid is a member of the administrators group.

Next I used "Connection Tester" from the server machine, to contact 192.168.1.11, which gives the following message. Nothing was recorded into the server errorlog.txt.

Ping test OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
The network path was not found.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote WMI access test OK

Remote \\<IP or computername here from test>\c$ access test OK

This machine is WinXP Pro SP3 plus all post hotfixes from m$. SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 edition.

There are three other named instances of SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 on this box, they are not enabled while I'm working with Lansweeper. Lansweeper is the only one using IIS as well, I had to install it as part of setting up Lansweeper.

These services are enabled and running when I bring up Lansweeper:

net start "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)"
net start "World Wide Web Publishing"
net start "IIS Admin"
net start "SQL Server VSS Writer"
net start "SQL Server Browser"
net start "SQL Server (Lansweeper)"
net start "Lansweeper Server"

Thanks again for any help, regards,
--appyface
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you post your errorlog.txt file again please.
appyface
Engaged Sweeper
I decided to uninstall Lansweeper, erase the subdirectories and registry, clean out the SQL instance, and start over.

I'm back to where I was, as posted above, Lansweeper service will stay up but LSCLIENT cannot connect, connection test will not pass.

TIA,
--appyface