cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sau16ts
Engaged Sweeper
I am questioning the results of this query. It lists all my servers having the application boost enabled. I have 2003 and 2008 servers.

Looking at the script, it looks to "dbo.tblOperatingsystem.ForegroundApplicationBoost <> 1 " not being 1. From what MS Technet tells me the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl\Win32PrioritySeparation is used to affect the duration of each quanta. On the server GUI I click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click System, click the Advanced tab and that shows the BackgroundServices radio button selected and the registy Win32PrioritySeparation is set to 0 (Foreground and Background equal quanta).

For Windows NT you have three choices on the "Select Performance Boost for Foreground Applications" slider: None, "Balanced", and Maximum. The corresponding registry setting would be either 0 (None), 1 (Balanced), or 2 (Maximum).

Now for MS2000 the vales are 0, 1, and 2
0 - foreground and background threads get the same amount of processor time
1 - foreground processes get more processor time than background processes
2 - Foreground processes get much more processor time than background processes

For MS2003 and up the vales are

0x00000026 (38) for best performance of Programs
0x00000018 (24) for best performance of Background services.

Is the reporting of this script correct and I am just looking at the wrong registry entry, or is it incorrect and needs to be changed?
4 REPLIES 4
AnthonyNZ
Engaged Sweeper
This bug still exists, will it be fixed?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
AnthonyNZ wrote:
This bug still exists, will it be fixed?

Could you execute the command below on one problem machine and send the lansweepertest.txt file that is generated to support@lansweeper.com
For easy reference, also include a link to this forum thread in your email.
c:\>wmic path win32_operatingsystem >lansweepertest.txt
daem0n647
Engaged Sweeper
Same with workstations, do not forget to fix also:
Workstation: Foregroundapplicationboost switched off (*CUT* - 91,40%)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This is most likely a bug.
In the past this was a boolean (0 or 1), now it is changed to a numeric value.