cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mercedes_O
Community Manager
Community Manager

Banner _ Community Highlights .jpg

We recently hosted a live Q&A session on Lansweeper Installation tips and tricks, here are some of the questions we discussed, we look forward to welcoming you to another one soon!

Here is a link to a recording of the event https://vimeo.com/866258030/cc70f6e0e4?share=copy

What is the best way for us to have the most current IP address for laptop users?

Install LsAgent on the laptop and have it scan every 4 hours (min interval)

What is the best way to scan windows machines that are joined to an Azure domain?

Preferably using Intune (if they're managed using Intune).
If not, scanning them based on IP range.
Or if you can put an LsAgent on them, that's even better: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/scanning-your-network/introduction-to-lsagent-for-windows-linux-....
A more extensive integration towards Azure (and Azure AD) is under review.

Is there a command or .exe to use to force a client to check in into the server (LsAgent installed)

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/general-discussions/lsagent-force-a-scan/td-p/42431

We're in the midst of revamping our customer Lansweeper. So there are 2 options we're looking at. 1st is to cleanup the current Lansweeper by cleaning up inactive assets, perform the database maintenance
2nd is to provision new servers new database and master server
If we want to proceed with the 2nd option, how do we transfer the license from the old server and to new server? Is there any KB that we can refer to?
Related to the revamp project, we're proposing our customer to deploy LsAgent (bandwidth concern). I like to know what is the scanning behaviour if let say one Asset is already installed with the agent and but we still do the IP range scanning. Is Lansweeper clever enough to drop scanning for this asset?

Hi, for your first remark: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/lansweeper-maintenance/move-your-lansweeper-installation-to-a-di.... You can re-enter the same license in the new installation

For your second remark:
Remote scanning (by the scan server) uses a scan queue. The ip/name of the asset can only appear once in the queue.
LsAgent scans are handled separately, so you could have the occurrence of an agent scan at a specific time and have a remote scan (by scan server) at the same time. Both will be merged into the same asset though.

Scanning (locally and remotely) don't consume a lot of resources on the asset though

Could we control who can delete the inventory? And, could we get an alert when someone delete an inventory record?

There is a report called "changes made to the lansweeper configuration" you can see there who deleted an asset. You can set an alert for that.

You can also set permissions for who can manage your Inventory.

How can we switch current lsagents reporting to a certain installation to start reporting to a new installation. Do we need to re-install the lsagent or remove/install

This depends on how you have LsAgent reporting , via relay or direct

they have both options in their configuration. If they have a direct link to the scan server it will send to the standard port. Otherwise they will use the relay server

If you are using the relay then the agent scans can only be picked up by one scan server that is configured for the relay

How do I pull a report that shows both the root cause category and the specific reason for that root cause, for each ticket?

The root cause is stored in the database, you can use the database documentation to see where that is saved in the database. If you cannot figure it out, please send a request to Support, they will assist in creating the report.

I have around 400 Lorex Cameras on my network and Lansweeper identifies them as "webserver" and does not give me any information and on the cameras directly or on my nvr/dvr I do not have the SNMP option what i can do?

If SNMP is not enabled on the devices, the information that we can scan might be limited. Http is often open, that is why it will be seen as a webserver. Apart from SNMP there might be other protocols available, like SIP.

How does Lansweeper (IP-scan) choose scan method type for an asset?

When scanning assets we try a range of ports to determine the type of asset. For example if port 135 is open we will determine this is a Windows device and start our windows scanning logic

We notice a lot of linux machines in Lansweeper, that are actually cisco routers/switches. How can we get better recognition?

Routers should support SNMP. If you add correct SNMP credentials and map them to the IP range, they should be correctly scanned. We have articles in our KB on the requirements for scanning network devices.

Is there a way to differentiate between Windows Servers and Windows PC's? Right now they all show up as Device Type = Windows and we can't change these.

Are your assets scanned without errors? If the asset is scanned properly, this should be identified correctly.

Is there a way to upload a csv file that will update the same field on specific assets (we have 100's of printer assets and want to add the part of the office in which they are located )

Hi, this is unfortunately not possible at the moment. At this moment you can only upload a csv to create new assets.

Is the multiple scan server have any limitation?

There are no limitations that would be different in a single scan server environment.

What is the best way for scanning for MacOS,Linux in any environment? Is the just credentials enough for it

For Mac or Linux IP range scanning and making sure the SSH requirements are met are available in our KBs. We also have LsAgent for both

Lansweeper is a great tool for inventory. Does it have a feature for live monitoring assets (i.e. a network switch or a server being down)? If not, what tool do you suggest for live monitoring?

You are correct, Lansweeper is a great inventory tool. We have some monitor features however, we are not truly a live monitor tool. Asset radar is a good tool that Lansweeper offers that can be used more for a monitor-type instance.

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/scanning-your-network/introduction-to-asset-radar/ta-p/64508

As far as what tool we would recommend this is something we don't have information on and would be dependant upon your needs.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now