cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II

I'm looking for a script to push Windows updates to workstations in our environment via LS and prompt for a reboot.   I'm not looking to do specific packages, but rather simply query MS for what updates are available.   

Anyone ever done that?  This would be for the "one offs" in our environment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ASismey
Engaged Sweeper III

Hi,

Depending on how you deploy your patches and the settings for install / restart, you can force Windows to "Check in"  and if there are any updates available it will download ,etc  if you run the following as a script or command, its the same as clicking "Check For Updates"  :

UsoClient startinteractivescan

You can also deploy Toast messages using Windows 10 Toast Notification Script – imab.dk , these will prompt Users to restart if there are patches waiting and can be setup as a scheduled task each week, etc , so only one deployment required ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II

..Thanks....that worked great ASismey.  

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

The Lansweeper deployment module is able to apply patches to Windows computers in your network. There is no set guide on creating a package that will implement these patches, and we, unfortunately, do not provide support in creating custom packages. However, you can refer to two forum posts with packages that cover patching Windows computers.

Both methods can be used to update Windows computers in your environment. We would also recommend having a look at this Microsoft article, which provide some scripts that can help you create a custom deployment package: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/searching--downloading--and-installing-updat...

Further information on creating deployment packages can be found in our knowledge base at this link: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/deploying-software-other-changes/tkb-p/kb_deploying-software-and...

pryan67
Champion Sweeper II

I'm aware of how to create a package for specific patches, but what I'm asking is if anyone has any script that would query Windows update directly, check if there are any available patches, and then install them.  

ASismey
Engaged Sweeper III

Hi,

Depending on how you deploy your patches and the settings for install / restart, you can force Windows to "Check in"  and if there are any updates available it will download ,etc  if you run the following as a script or command, its the same as clicking "Check For Updates"  :

UsoClient startinteractivescan

You can also deploy Toast messages using Windows 10 Toast Notification Script – imab.dk , these will prompt Users to restart if there are patches waiting and can be setup as a scheduled task each week, etc , so only one deployment required ?