cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbeavis
Engaged Sweeper III
I've only briefly toyed with deployment in the past, so my understanding may not be on par with reality. I have recently upgraded to 5.3.0.8 and have a need to learn and use the Deployment feature. In the past I primarily used active scanning and ip scanning, but I am starting to use lspush due to Deployment. My desire is to use the after scanning feature to deploy some software and patches. I have included the lspush into the login process. My hope is that it will force a check and install of missing/outdated software after scanning/login. I further want to include a script to run after vpn connection to but inventory and deploy. I'm not looking to deploy major software, put small patches and agents. Also have a facility to push and install/update.

My results are very mixed. I can manually run the deployment without issue, but the "after scanning" option works about 1 in 10 times, if that. I have not tested the scheduled time deployment because it isn't something I need.

Is the approach of using lspush to scan and then trigger deployment valid? Or, is lspush not a valid trigger for "after scanning"?

Are there some undocumented conditions for deployment, such as it won't run if it recently ran in a given timeframe?

Is any one else experiencing issues with "after scanning" schedule with version 5.3.0.8? Perhaps there is a bug?

My logs don't really show an error. It is as if the trigger never happened.

My alternative is to use GPO for deploying these things, but Lansweeper seems more flexible (easier for VPN and push deployments).

Thanks,

Bill
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The "After scanning" option won't work with LsPush as LsPush is designed to be used in cases where you don't have full access onto target computers for scanning. You could
- Use LsClient instead of LsPush (LsClient triggers a remote scan)
- Use Active scanning. This will scan your computers after they have logged on to your Domain controllers.
- In your package deployment setup use the retry option. You can let Lansweeper try redeploying a package for up to 1 week after a target machine was found unreachable. This might flood your deployment logs if you are deploying to many machines, so you might want use this method only in combination with one of the before mentioned.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bbeavis
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for the info. I will give that stuff a try. I actually suspected that was how lspush worked, but I saw a posting on the subject and assumed it would work once it uploaded the scan results. The posting is at http://www.lansweeper.com/Forum/yaf_postst10807_Trigger-deployment-with-LSPush-exe.aspx#post40485

I would have used lsclient initially, it seemed that the general preference was using lspush over lsclient. I do have a handful of machines with odd wmi/firewall/access issues that lspush may circumvent.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The "After scanning" option won't work with LsPush as LsPush is designed to be used in cases where you don't have full access onto target computers for scanning. You could
- Use LsClient instead of LsPush (LsClient triggers a remote scan)
- Use Active scanning. This will scan your computers after they have logged on to your Domain controllers.
- In your package deployment setup use the retry option. You can let Lansweeper try redeploying a package for up to 1 week after a target machine was found unreachable. This might flood your deployment logs if you are deploying to many machines, so you might want use this method only in combination with one of the before mentioned.