cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manunkind
Engaged Sweeper II
I run all VMs and and I copied an old Windows 7 VM to update it to Windows 10. It has a different hostname and MAC address but Lansweeper will still detect it as my old Windows 7 system and they both will keep overwriting the other's entries every time I boot one of them up.

I've tried deleting both assets from Lansweeper and starting each of them again and it's the same overwriting each time. I generated new MAC addresses and still the same. I can't get Lansweeper to detect that they are different systems.

How can I fix this? I'm using Lspush for these systems, by the way.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
manunkind
Engaged Sweeper II
My bad. I just fixed it. Lspush apparently uses the NETBIOS name and I was appending "7" and "10" at the end of the hostname. This exceeded the max length in NETBOIS so it was truncating them down to the common denominator and effectively sending the same hostname to Lansweeper. I also noticed that the MAC address wasn't getting listed for my Windows VMs so Lansweeper could not use that to determine that they were different systems. It was only going by the hostname.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
manunkind
Engaged Sweeper II
My bad. I just fixed it. Lspush apparently uses the NETBIOS name and I was appending "7" and "10" at the end of the hostname. This exceeded the max length in NETBOIS so it was truncating them down to the common denominator and effectively sending the same hostname to Lansweeper. I also noticed that the MAC address wasn't getting listed for my Windows VMs so Lansweeper could not use that to determine that they were different systems. It was only going by the hostname.