cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajmataro
Engaged Sweeper III
Hello,

Can you tell me, if I can get the model number of Cisco switches according to the official nomenclature?

For example, for the Cisco Catalyst switch model 2960C Compact 12 FE PoE port, get on a field the WS-C2960C-12PC-L value.

The command show version display this data.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
In most cases the model of SNMP-enabled network devices is determined through the lookup of the asset's OID. You can change it by
  • opening the asset summary page and copying the OID
  • under Configuration\Asset mapping, section Device Snmp OID lookup, entering the OID into the search field
  • changing the model description

If the device OID is not listed here, you could add it to the list.

If the asset page has no OID, you need to edit the asset and manually change the model. Be sure to lock the model field, so Lansweeper won't overwrite your changes during subsequent scans.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The name was scanned from SNMP. If you can't change it on the configuration of the switch itself, you only can manually edit the asset page in Lansweeper, change the model and ensure that the model field gets locked against overwriting.
ajmataro
Engaged Sweeper III
Results:

- Rescan asset operation has not updated the model name that is assigned to the new OID. I understand that if a model name is assigned to the new OID and rescanned, should see the new name in this asset and the asset page page of switches of the same model.

- I tried it with an existing OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.540 in Lansweeper Asset Mapping and renaming the scanning model and the model is modified in the asset page.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Open the asset page of the switch once again and hit Rescan asset. This should update the model. If the model does not match what you have defined in the OID lookup, it was scanned from SNMP. In this case, you need to change the model description directly on the switch and afterwards rescan the asset.

Alternatively edit the switch's asset page, change the model description and lock it.
ajmataro
Engaged Sweeper III
I followed his instructions step by step:

- Create a new OID assigning the switch model WS-C2960C-8PC-L, the OID not exist.
- Scan the device
- Restart the services

On the device, the old model still appears C2960C.

OID Mapping
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
In most cases the model of SNMP-enabled network devices is determined through the lookup of the asset's OID. You can change it by
  • opening the asset summary page and copying the OID
  • under Configuration\Asset mapping, section Device Snmp OID lookup, entering the OID into the search field
  • changing the model description

If the device OID is not listed here, you could add it to the list.

If the asset page has no OID, you need to edit the asset and manually change the model. Be sure to lock the model field, so Lansweeper won't overwrite your changes during subsequent scans.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now