cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
for those who are not aware, the licensing for Java is changing. It will still be ok for Personal use but not commercial or Enterprise. https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

So LS can look for versions and create a report yes? will it uninstall it for us or track the licenses?

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I took a look at their server licensing and it seems it's not just a matter of server processors or amount of cores. They actually have different metrics for different processors what they call the "Oracle Processor Core Factor".

Doing a report on this would be a nightmare as you would have to incorporate their entire processor core matrix in the query.
What you could do is use lansweeper to provide them the data they need to do the licensing calculations for you.
David_Skjaerpe
Engaged Sweeper II
Just couldn't resist replying just to agree with your statement about their new pricing/licensing policy. I would say they have done it difficult by design, and calculate quite a few companies buy more licenses than they need as a result of it.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I can take a look at it, can you provide some more details as to what would be helpful for you?

I took a look at their new pricing for server licensing and they have made it stupidly complex so calculating license costs will be too much work I think.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
This is certainly an interesting change. Theoretically, Lansweeper can indeed provide you with the information, however, at this time there are still many unknowns.

• Java versions: Will there be a separate version or naming convention for the enterprise java?
  • Licensing: Where and how will the license be stored?
From their website, it seems this change will only take effect in January 2019. So there is still some time left, but to create a meaningful report, there has to be a way to differentiate a personal installation from an enterprise installation.
jleise
Engaged Sweeper
Esben.D wrote:
This is certainly an interesting change. Theoretically, Lansweeper can indeed provide you with the information, however, at this time there are still many unknowns.

• Java versions: Will there be a separate version or naming convention for the enterprise java?
  • Licensing: Where and how will the license be stored?
From their website, it seems this change will only take effect in January 2019. So there is still some time left, but to create a meaningful report, there has to be a way to differentiate a personal installation from an enterprise installation.

Hello, Esben. D,

could you build a report on the thread topic?

We also have a lot of systems with Java still installed.

Many greetings!