cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_seiler
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi

I was working on creating a report that will list the status of each of our sites (about 60 sites) routers and if they have not been seen in x minutes

To do this is i figured a combination of this would work:

1. A report for asset group Routers with some last-seen check for x minutes
2. A scanning target for asset group Routers (to have a higher scanning freq.)
3. Add report to dashboard

But, when i was adding routers i found that LASTSEEN did not update properly. Now, we dont have access to the routers so nothing more then Ping is available to us. But the devices do not show any scanning errors either. Lansweeper correctly shows them as online (i.e ping icon is green).

Ive had 2 scenarios with the routers (unsure if this is relevant but ill add it anyway)
1. The router was picked up by the scan of the subnet (ex 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254)
2. The router was not picked up by the above scan and i had to add it manually

Any ideas on why this could be and how i could fix it? 🙂

/Seiler
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If Lansweeper can retrieve no information during scanning, an asset is not automatically created. We assume you've manually created these router assets. The protocols that are used for scanning can be found in this article. When no information is returned, we expect that it's not possible to connect using any of those protocols. For devices in the same subnet, no additional protocols are necessary to retrieve a MAC address, which will ensure the device is "scanned".

If it's not possible to retrieve any information from a device, but it is pingable, you could enable the "Save Pinged IP" option for your router IP Range scanning target you've set up, under Scanning\Scanning Targets. That should ensure last seen is updated for these devices.

Other than that though, the combination of a report based on the last seen data of routers and frequent scanning, coupled with a dashboard data report should be functional for some basic monitoring.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
a_seiler
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi

Thanks, ill have to do some experimenting with Save pinged IP.

I'll apply it to a few ip-ranges and see what turns up. I added it to one range and it seems to have picked up the HSRP for both routers (.1) and each individual router (.2 and .3).

I did have to manually delete the .1 asset i already had created though.

Thanks again 🙂
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If Lansweeper can retrieve no information during scanning, an asset is not automatically created. We assume you've manually created these router assets. The protocols that are used for scanning can be found in this article. When no information is returned, we expect that it's not possible to connect using any of those protocols. For devices in the same subnet, no additional protocols are necessary to retrieve a MAC address, which will ensure the device is "scanned".

If it's not possible to retrieve any information from a device, but it is pingable, you could enable the "Save Pinged IP" option for your router IP Range scanning target you've set up, under Scanning\Scanning Targets. That should ensure last seen is updated for these devices.

Other than that though, the combination of a report based on the last seen data of routers and frequent scanning, coupled with a dashboard data report should be functional for some basic monitoring.