cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
Hi
We use "Nuance PDF Converter Professional 8" on site, and i want to see if its possible to retrieve the license key that was used on each PC?

also, when querying the software, it pulls back some machines twice in the report.

any help appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
LithiumKid1976 wrote:
We use "Nuance PDF Converter Professional 8" on site, and i want to see if its possible to retrieve the license key that was used on each PC?

The short answer is: yes, if the key is stored in the registry and you know where it is. More info on how license key scanning works can be found in this knowledge base article.

LithiumKid1976 wrote:
also, when querying the software, it pulls back some machines twice in the report.

We can't really comment on this without knowing which page you are accessing or which SQL query you are running. Your report may simply be written incorrectly. The built-in report "Software: List of software by computer", also seen below, should list all of your software installations. Note that:
  • There will be multiple lines per machine, one for each software. This is expected behavior. SQL displays each table record (e.g. software) as a line, not a column.
  • Software installations have nothing to do with software license keys. This knowledge base article provides more information on how software installation scanning works and this knowledge base article outlines the difference between software installation and software license key scanning.

Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetUnique,
tblAssets.Domain,
tblSoftwareUni.softwareName As software,
tblSoftware.softwareVersion As version,
tblSoftwareUni.SoftwarePublisher As publisher,
tsysOS.Image As icon,
tblAssets.Username,
tblAssets.Userdomain
From tblSoftware
Inner Join tblAssets On tblSoftware.AssetID = tblAssets.AssetID
Inner Join tblSoftwareUni On tblSoftware.softID = tblSoftwareUni.SoftID
Inner Join tblAssetCustom On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetCustom.AssetID
Inner Join tsysOS On tblAssets.OScode = tsysOS.OScode
Order By tblAssets.AssetName,
software,
version

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Nope, Lanswepper still only scans the registry for license information. Scanning files for strings of text would be to time-consuming based on number of factors / computers etc.

You could create a deployment package that reads the file and saves the information into the registry, you could then have Lansweeper scan that registry path for the key.
dbsooner09
Engaged Sweeper III
I know this is old, but is this still not possible for getting the Nuance Serial Number? We are new to Lansweeper and I have been tasked with getting Serial numbers to pull into our system. I thought I had it but turns out I am pulling a product code and not the Serial number. Thannks.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
No, this is not possible unfortunately. You can only instruct Lansweeper to pull additional keys from the client machine's registry. Pulling them from inside a file is not possible.
LithiumKid1976
Champion Sweeper
Ok, so ive found out where the license key is

\\USERPC\c$\Program Files (x86)\Nuance\PDF Professional 8\Ereg\ereg.ini

and inhere there is a line of text that starts with

[Setup]
Title=Nuance PDF Converter Professional 8
AllowPrintRegistration=0
CommonDataDir=Nuance\PDF Converter Professional 8\Ereg
LargeFontSize=10
SmallFontSize=8

[Reminder]
ReminderKey=Nuance PDF Converter Professional 8-reminder

[Strings]
UI_Lan=ENG

Ser_Num=Mxxx-xxx-xxx-xx
----------------------------------------------------------
Any idea if it possible to pull the Ser_Num info from this location??
thanks

Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
LithiumKid1976 wrote:

The short answer is: yes, if the key is stored in the registry and you know where it is. More info on how license key scanning works can be found in this knowledge base article.

LithiumKid1976 wrote:

We can't really comment on this without knowing which page you are accessing or which SQL query you are running. Your report may simply be written incorrectly. The built-in report "Software: List of software by computer", also seen below, should list all of your software installations. Note that:
  • There will be multiple lines per machine, one for each software. This is expected behavior. SQL displays each table record (e.g. software) as a line, not a column.
  • Software installations have nothing to do with software license keys. This knowledge base article provides more information on how software installation scanning works and this knowledge base article outlines the difference between software installation and software license key scanning.

Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetUnique,
tblAssets.Domain,
tblSoftwareUni.softwareName As software,
tblSoftware.softwareVersion As version,
tblSoftwareUni.SoftwarePublisher As publisher,
tsysOS.Image As icon,
tblAssets.Username,
tblAssets.Userdomain
From tblSoftware
Inner Join tblAssets On tblSoftware.AssetID = tblAssets.AssetID
Inner Join tblSoftwareUni On tblSoftware.softID = tblSoftwareUni.SoftID
Inner Join tblAssetCustom On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetCustom.AssetID
Inner Join tsysOS On tblAssets.OScode = tsysOS.OScode
Order By tblAssets.AssetName,
software,
version

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now