cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rk3ll3yjr
Engaged Sweeper
Does Lansweeper have the ability to scan network computers (windows and linux) for self-running applications? Self-running applications are defined as software that does not register itself on the computer (i.e. on windows in the registry).

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
This is something I should've mentioned in my previous post as well, but you can scan executables and other types of files with the file scanning feature documented here. This feature has been in the software for years. Check the Beta tab of the article for Lansweeper 6.0 instructions, if you're using 6.0, as the menus have changed a bit.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
This is something I should've mentioned in my previous post as well, but you can scan executables and other types of files with the file scanning feature documented here. This feature has been in the software for years. Check the Beta tab of the article for Lansweeper 6.0 instructions, if you're using 6.0, as the menus have changed a bit.
rk3ll3yjr
Engaged Sweeper
Thank you for the response. I am looking for something that would scan for executable file on the local hard drive. These may not be running at the time of the scan so looking for running services or processes is probably not going to give me what I need. It sounds like lansweeper does not have this feature.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
I don't think you'll be able to detect software like this on Linux, but for Windows computers you could report on a related service or process for instance.

Running processes are not scanned by default, but this can be enabled in the Configuration\Item Wait Time section of the web console. To rescan your machines afterwards, click the Assets link at the top of the web console, tick the upper checkbox and hit the Rescan button on the left. Processes are listed in the Config\Windows\Processes section of individual computer webpages. You could also build a report based on the tblProcesses database table.