cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbrunk
Engaged Sweeper II
I have found that our Lansweeper servers contain many monitors that are not connected to any computers. On some of our Lansweeper servers there are hundreds of such monitors. Does anyone know how this situation may have developed in the first place? I am working on deleting all of these monitors, but I'd really like to prevent the situation from reoccurring. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bart_E
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
This is expected behavior. By default, Lansweeper does not delete any assets, even if they are removed from your network. If you replace a monitor with a new one, the old scanned monitor will still exist in the Lansweeper database. The newly scanned monitor will automatically be associated with the asset it is connected to if the monitor manufacturer and serial are stored in the client machine's registry and can be detected by Lansweeper.

Monitors will not count towards your licensed asset limit but in case you want to remove the old monitors from the Lansweeper database, you can either deleted them manually or use one of the automated database cleanups under Configuration\Server Options.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_E
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
This is expected behavior. By default, Lansweeper does not delete any assets, even if they are removed from your network. If you replace a monitor with a new one, the old scanned monitor will still exist in the Lansweeper database. The newly scanned monitor will automatically be associated with the asset it is connected to if the monitor manufacturer and serial are stored in the client machine's registry and can be detected by Lansweeper.

Monitors will not count towards your licensed asset limit but in case you want to remove the old monitors from the Lansweeper database, you can either deleted them manually or use one of the automated database cleanups under Configuration\Server Options.
sbrunk
Engaged Sweeper II
We may have a few duplicates, but the vast majority of these monitors do not appear to be duplicates. I think these are mostly occurring when a computer is rescanned and its previous monitor has been replaced with a new one. It appears that the previous monitor is simply unassociated with the computer and not deleted from the database. Is this intended Lansweeper behavior in such a situation?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
It's difficult to know what happened without seeing the monitors, but the monitors could have been duplicated when they were manually edited. If the manufacturer or serial of a scanned monitor is edited, the monitor will be duplicated upon rescanning, as the manufacturer and serial are used to compose the internal monitor ID. There is also a known bug at the moment that could cause duplication. See this forum thread.

You can run this report to find monitors without computer connections. This report can be added to your installation by following these instructions.
sbrunk
Engaged Sweeper II
Nobody else has seen this situation/behavior and has any thoughts on how it can occur? Lucky us, I guess.