cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProfessorNerdly
Engaged Sweeper II
I am just beginning to put Windows 10 machines in my environment. When I try to push out installers to the new machine, I keep getting an error:

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032) Credential:(Correct user) Share:(correct Share)

I have noticed Win10 is very different out of the box than Win7 but am hoping for a bit of help clearing this up.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni

For those that end up in this thread when searching for the error below, I've specified the exact solution you can apply. Note: the solution presumes all other deployment requirements are met.

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032)

On Windows 10.0+ machines (10, 11, 2019, 2022), execute the following PowerShell script as admin on your deployment targets if you're receiving the error above.

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management" -Enabled True

Depending on your deployment Run Mode, you may also receive a different error, with the same solution. Run mode SYSTEM results in:

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The task has been configured with an unsupported combination of account settings and run time options. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041314)

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
MGuzak
Engaged Sweeper
I did run it - and it passed - EVERYTHING.... Hmmmmm

JacobH wrote:
oh no! did you not run the testconnection.exe "connection tester" that Bruce B. suggested? I forgot to mention it as I assumed you most likely did... it would have told you that...

Scanning TCP ports..
135 open (EPMAP)
139 closed (NetBIOS Session Service)
445 closed (SMB)

Checking Task Scheduler
Task was successfully scheduled
Task ran successfully

Task Deleted

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
hmm. without spending too much time... try this one?

Windows Firewall > 'Remote Scheduled Tasks Management'
MGuzak
Engaged Sweeper
Nope. Already running..... After much trial and error, the answer for me is...…..

Remote Administration (RPC).

You can also accomplish this WITHOUT group policy by running this on the client (Per the article):

call netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin enable
call netsh firewall add portopening protocol=tcp port=135 name=DCOM_TCP135

JacobH wrote:
hmm. without spending too much time... try this one?

Windows Firewall > 'Remote Scheduled Tasks Management'

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Sweet - look for the 'allow remote task scheduler' or something like that... I can't remember I'll have to google it if you can't find it... its related to task scheduler though.

Once you find it, post what it is here?

MGuzak
Engaged Sweeper
OK, I found this article but it doesn't translate to Windows 10. There is no lpolicy like "Allow remote administration exception" that I can see... Still searching....

Firewall

JacobH wrote:
Sweet - look for the 'allow remote task scheduler' or something like that... I can't remember I'll have to google it if you can't find it... its related to task scheduler though.

Once you find it, post what it is here?

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Throwing it out there... could be a lot of things (I don't use deployment anymore)

Is the task scheduler service running on these machines (you can look it up in lansweeper)...?

Is there a firewall running on the windows 10 boxes?

Were these windows 10 machines imaged from a single source image?

Do you have any that work for windows 10 - compare build numbers?

Are these desktops, laptops, both?

Does the account have 'Log on as Batch' permissions? Local Policies->User Rights Assignment. In the list of Policies right-click on Log on as batch job and select Properties. Click Add User or Group… and add the user that needs to run
MGuzak
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the tip! I just turned off the Windows firewall and it worked. Now to find some documentation on what needs to be allowed through....

JacobH wrote:
Throwing it out there... could be a lot of things (I don't use deployment anymore)

Is the task scheduler service running on these machines (you can look it up in lansweeper)...?

Is there a firewall running on the windows 10 boxes?

Were these windows 10 machines imaged from a single source image?

Do you have any that work for windows 10 - compare build numbers?

Are these desktops, laptops, both?

Does the account have 'Log on as Batch' permissions? Local Policies->User Rights Assignment. In the list of Policies right-click on Log on as batch job and select Properties. Click Add User or Group… and add the user that needs to run

MGuzak
Engaged Sweeper
I am seeing the same error with my first attempt at any deployment. I can't even execute the simplest of tasks like send a message. I always get the error : "Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032)". This is clearly a Windows 10 issue as it works on Windows 7.

ITlee
Engaged Sweeper
I too am experiencing this issue. I've tried the suggestion, running the test connection but everything is ok from that point of view. I find the tasks are created, only they never run.

I've googled this specifically related to Lansweeper deployments but also more general task scheduler issues but no fixes. It's strange that the task is created but fails to run. Even on a simple "create text file" task. So I'm confident it's not the contents of the task that cause it to fail.

I'm seeing this more and more often and it only seems to be affecting Windows10 machines.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has any further updates or fixes for this one?

Thank you

Lee
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The error you're seeing is a Windows error related to the task scheduler. The Lansweeper deployment module uses the task scheduler on the computer you're deploying on to send/run the package. Some things you can check:
  • Make sure you've got credentials added and mapped under Scanning\Scanning Credentials that have administrative rights to these Windows 10 computers.
  • Ensure the Windows 10 computers meet the deployment requirements listed here.
  • Run testconnection.exe as found under Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Actions on your Lansweeper server. Run the tester directly from your Lansweeper server towards the Windows 10 computer using your scanning credentials. The last few entries of the tester verify some deployment requirements such as scheduled task creation and the availability of administrative shares.