cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
synergisadmin
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

Recently (two days ago) I upgraded our version of lansweeper to version 4.0 and then further upgraded our LSclient.exe that we use from a network share to the latest and greatest version included with 4.0.

The issue that I am having now is when LSclient scans one of our machines it causes wmiprvse.exe to utilize 100% of the CPU usage. I have tried a few things that I could think of to resolve the issue and unfortunately I am unable to actually kill the wmiprvse.exe process as it is locked.

I have tried to use process explorer to kill the main thread of svchost.exe however that causes an NT shutdown error and subsequent reboot of the machine.

The only way I can get the client a usable machine at this point is to disable the GPO that pushes the lsiclient.exe at login time to that specific machine.

Prior to 4.0 this didn't seem to be an issue and I am sure something is getting scanned on the users machine that is causing the problem, however I am unable to reliably diagnose what it is.

Looking through Microsoft's knowledge base I have looked into the SMS wmiprvse.exe issue however that patch will not install for us as we are not using SMS.

Any thoughts and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated to steer me in the correct direction to resolve this for our user.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You could try repairing WMI : http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/WMI-Access-is-denied.aspx (point 6)

Which OS/SP is giving the problem, how many pc's are affected?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
synergisadmin
Engaged Sweeper
This is a fairly fresh install of Windows XP SP3. (About 2 weeks old)

I will try the WMI fix as maybe something from automatic updates (I'm using a WSUS server to apply the updates) that were installed prevented WMI from working correctly or messed up some type of files on the machine.

So far this is the only PC that it is happening on so I am not "too concerned" at this moment.

I'm not even sure that the lsclient changed drastically but as soon as I replaced the file about 20 minutes later the user logged onto their machine and started having the issue. In my mind it is definitely related to the new lansweeper client as the issue did not occur until the new lsclient was put on the server and the issue does not occur after I remove the lsclient from scanning this particular computer.

I'll give the WMI fix a shot and then re-run the scan to see what happens.

Thank you for a direction on where to go with this, it's appreciated. I will know more on Monday if the fixed worked or not as the user has already taken the machine home.

Thanks again.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You could try repairing WMI : http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/WMI-Access-is-denied.aspx (point 6)

Which OS/SP is giving the problem, how many pc's are affected?