cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murpmic
Engaged Sweeper III
We get dupes when we rename devices. We either have to manually change the asset in the DB or delete one of the assets. As we enter notes in assets that means if we delete we could lose comments on the devices. There should be a merge utility to take manually entered data from teh "old" device name and put those records in the new device name.
5 REPLIES 5
Stewie
Engaged Sweeper II
The new feature to detect computer renaming is great, but I think it's missing 1 step. It would be nice if there were an asset history table so that as computers get renamed there is a record of what it used to be named. We sometimes have instances where a computer gets re-deployed with a new name and then there is a question about which machine used to be where. It would be helpful to have a method that shows us that machine-x is now machine-y.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Stewie wrote:
The new feature to detect computer renaming is great, but I think it's missing 1 step. It would be nice if there were an asset history table so that as computers get renamed there is a record of what it used to be named. We sometimes have instances where a computer gets re-deployed with a new name and then there is a question about which machine used to be where. It would be helpful to have a method that shows us that machine-x is now machine-y.

Good idea, we'll add it to the wish list.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This feature is in version 5.1 beta which you can download from the forum
hkicpa
Engaged Sweeper
How about considering to implement an automatic rename procedure based on serial number?

I need to find duplicate serial number and then copy the custom field data to the new one and finally delete the old one. If the computer name can be updated automatcally in lansweeper when the serial number of the new scanned computer is the same as the existing computer asset. It would be great!

Please consider my suggestion. Is it a good idea?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Are you referring to Windows computers? Lansweeper cannot detect Windows computer name or domain name changes. Currently, the correct way to rename a computer or move it to a different domain is to first rename/move it in Lansweeper and then rename/move the machine itself. You can rename/move a computer by browsing to its Lansweeper webpage and then hitting the Edit Asset button. When the machine is rescanned, its existing database entry will then simply be updated. If you don’t rename/move the machine in Lansweeper first, a new database entry will be generated for it.

We've been considering implementing an automatic rename procedure based on MAC address, but duplicate MACs are not an uncommon occurrence, particularly on virtual machines.