cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogeccut
Engaged Sweeper II
I am trying to find unique installed software and the highest version of the software installed.
There is a report with "All installed software"

That gives me 4 columns. SOftware Name, version, publisher and number if installations.

to start:
How would i change the sql to just report the heights version found if software name is the same.
if names column A "1,2,3,4,5....." are the same then compare "B" and return hights version.

Am i making sense? Should i have a different approach?

Thanks for any help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
There is no automated way for Lansweeper to tell you what a software package's latest version is. The software version number scanned by Lansweeper is the one listed in Add/Remove Programs on the client machine as well. This field is a text field, not a numeric field.

To the human eye it may seem obvious that a software with version 10.0 is more recent than one with version 2.0 for instance, but to an automated procedure it's not. SQL reads text values from left to right. Therefore, it will consider 2.0 to be "greater than" 10.0, because 2 is greater than 1. You could isolate the relevant version numbers and convert them to numeric values so you can have SQL find the greatest value. See my post in this forum topic. This cannot easily be done for multiple software packages however, as there is no uniformity in how version numbers are formed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
There is no automated way for Lansweeper to tell you what a software package's latest version is. The software version number scanned by Lansweeper is the one listed in Add/Remove Programs on the client machine as well. This field is a text field, not a numeric field.

To the human eye it may seem obvious that a software with version 10.0 is more recent than one with version 2.0 for instance, but to an automated procedure it's not. SQL reads text values from left to right. Therefore, it will consider 2.0 to be "greater than" 10.0, because 2 is greater than 1. You could isolate the relevant version numbers and convert them to numeric values so you can have SQL find the greatest value. See my post in this forum topic. This cannot easily be done for multiple software packages however, as there is no uniformity in how version numbers are formed.
Dchowe
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi ogeccut,

The easiest way I have found to do stuff like this is to use the Licenses tab.
If you click "Edit purchased licenses" you can search for certain software using Add New License, and then put all the different versions into your search on the software tab.

Can be a bit of a pain when programs do regular updates (Chrome, Firefox, Java, Skype etc.) as you need to add each new version into the Add Software section once someone installs it, but other than that it is a great way to keep track.

On the Software License Compliance you then are told how many users have each version installed as well as the overall number for that software.

Hope this helps