cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave_Gently
Engaged Sweeper
4 hours later, and I'm almost there - this is very, very difficult to install!

I have almost got the "Complete version 1.5" part installed now, but it gives me the error

"SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

When I press the "Start" button.

Also, what is the "Lansweeper Service"? I assume I do not need it if I have downloaded the "complete" one?

I do not think this software will work - so many troubles 😞
18 REPLIES 18
Dave_Gently
Engaged Sweeper
Ah, that is good - thank you.

Once I have my standalone test running then I will look at the service one a "proper" server.

Be warned I will be asking lots of questions about the webconsole soon >_<
logar
Engaged Sweeper
Also, what is the "Lansweeper Service"? I assume I do not need it if I have downloaded the "complete" one?

The service is not included in the complete version...

There is only the standalone application and the client that is included. The difference between lswinapp.exe and lsserv.exe is that you must be logged in to run lswinapp and if you logout the application closes. lsserv.exe when installed will run even if no user are logged on the machine running LanSweeper... thus it may be easier to install lswinapp but if you need to have Lansweeper running 24/7 (or anytime the server is up) you better go with the service 🙂

Warning: The table 'tblOSRecoveryConfiguration' has been created but its maximum row size (15372) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.

Oh yeah, by the way, I had those warnings on my SQL standard when I made setup, they don't seem to affect anything...
Dave_Gently
Engaged Sweeper
Indeed it is 🙂

Perhaps it something to do with my running of lansweeper.sql ?

As this is my first time using Microsoft's Desktop Engine, and not having "Query Analyzer" I had to use MSDEQuery to execute this sql.

There were a lot of warnings, like this:

Warning: The table 'tblOSRecoveryConfiguration' has been created but its maximum row size (15372) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.
Warning: The table 'tblOnBoardDevice' has been created but its maximum row size (20382) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.
Warning: The table 'tblPCMCIAController' has been created but its maximum row size (23389) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.
Warning: The table 'tblPOTSModem' has been created but its maximum row size (79508) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.
Warning: The table 'tblPROCESSOR' has been created but its maximum row size (44433) exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row (8060). INSERT or UPDATE of a row in this table will fail if the resulting row length exceeds 8060 bytes.

Would this maybe make the error?

Another problem I had was creating "lsuser". There was a lot of documentation for this with many parameters - maybe I missed something? I did the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Y:\>osql -E -S localhost\Lansweeper
1> use master
2> go
1> EXEC sp_addlogin 'lsuser', 'lsuserpass', 'Lansweeper'
2> go
New login created.
1> use Lansweeper
2> go
1> EXEC sp_grantdbaccess 'lsuser'
2> go
Granted database access to 'lsuser'.
1> grant all to lsuser
2> go
1> quit

?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
is your sqlserver running on 127.0.0.1?
Dave_Gently
Engaged Sweeper
I run Lswinap.exe as Administrator at the moment - is this right?

I tried also adding the "user id" and "password" for "lsuser" into the ConnectionString, but get the same error.

I have used osql as both administrator (-E) and lsuser (-U) - both can connect OK?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The logging is logged into the database (after a successfull connection)
With which user are you running the lswinap.exe?
This user must be able to access the database server (in your configuration on 127.0.0.1)
Dave_Gently
Engaged Sweeper
I am just using the default configuration for "Integrated Security"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<!-- User application and configured property settings go here.-->
<!-- Example: <add key="settingName" value="settingValue"/> -->
<add key="ConnectionString" value="integrated security=SSPI;data source=&quot;127.0.0.1&quot;;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Lansweeper" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="20" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

I installed MSDE using "Mixed Mode" authentication and could connect using my username & password using MSDEQuery. Is this not so for LSWinap.exe? Is there a log file?
Dave Gently wrote:
I am just using the default configuration for "Integrated Security"

<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="ConnectionString" value="integrated security=SSPI;data source=&quot;127.0.0.1&quot;;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Lansweeper" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

I installed MSDE using "Mixed Mode" authentication and could connect using my username & password using MSDEQuery. Is this not so for LSWinap.exe? Is there a log file?

Just for fun have you tried to put the username/password in the config file ?

can you try this config in your config file?

<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Integrated security=SSPI;data source=&quot;127.0.0.1&quot;;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Lansweeper;user id=lsuser;password=Lansweeper" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

give me some news about it
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This means that the program cannot access the sql server with the credentials you specified.
Maybe you can post config file.