cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paprita
Champion Sweeper
Do you know if is possible to install 2 or more different lansweeper services (on different machines) using the same database?
11 REPLIES 11
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
See the reply by e-mail
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
Hi Geert,

Thanks for the quick response. As you describe below, the plan for v4 is to allow > LS (1) scans Domain (A), and LS (2) scans Domain (B). This still will pose an issue in most Enterprise environments where Domain (A) lives in Data Center (A) and Data Center (B), and possibly others.

In the above scenario, as outlined in the attached PDF, the following takes place... (Due to security concerns Lansweeper Service "LS (X)", can only reach local clients)

1. LS (1) scans clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (A)
a. The data collected by LS (1) is sent to LSDB
b. "RPC Server unavailable" flag for clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (A) is set to FALSE

2. LS (2) scans clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (B)
a. The data collected by LS (2) is sent to LSDB
b. "RPC Server unavailable" flag for clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (B) is set to FALSE
c. LS (2) re-scans clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (A)
d. "RPC Server unavailable" flag for clients in Domain (A) in Data Center (A) is set to TRUE (This, of course is a false positive)

After the initial Active Scanning client discovery, the process starts all over again on the next polling cycle. Step 1 will resemble Step 2 at this point.

An additional consideration will be needed to address clients in "Workgroup Mode". In the drawing, having the ability to be able to assign LS (4), through lsclient.exe, to only scan those non domain clients in Data Center (D) would be extremely helpful.

Of course there are other types of configurations that could be presented here, but with the ability for Active Scanning to use AD Sites, and/or AD Computer Account Location information (already collected by LS), to target domain members, and lsclient to target non domain clients, gives Lansweeper the ability to scale into most, if not all complex enterprise models.

Basically, the idea here is to have each instance of the "Lansweeper Service" to have "ownership" of it's own clients, and only scan those clients.

Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim Lovejoy __________________________________________________________________________________________________ James W. Lovejoy | IBM - Cloud Managed Services Delivery | Infrastructure Architect (Windows Server ...
AdmJLovejoy
Champion Sweeper
As a follow up to the post found at...
http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst2227_New-configuration.aspx

After introducing two or more "Lansweeper Service" servers, into a segregated environment, it appears that there are no options to a assign a specific "Lansweeper Service" (LS2, LS3, etc.) server to only target specific clients in relation to a specific Domain, or a specific Active Directory Site. Although the current scan model works well for small fully routed networks, this is not ideal for large complex geographically disperse segregated WAN/VLAN networks.

Having the ability to configure a "Lansweeper Service" server to target scans on a AD Site by AD Site basis would be a preference.

My question is, will this be a consideration to truly scale the product? If not, how will the issue described above be addressed?
Thanks, Jim Lovejoy __________________________________________________________________________________________________ James W. Lovejoy | IBM - Cloud Managed Services Delivery | Infrastructure Architect (Windows Server ...
AdmJLovejoy wrote:
As a follow up to the post found at...
http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst2227_New-configuration.aspx

After introducing two or more "Lansweeper Service" servers, into a segregated environment, it appears that there are no options to a assign a specific "Lansweeper Service" (LS2, LS3, etc.) server to only target specific clients in relation to a specific Domain, or a specific Active Directory Site. Although the current scan model works well for small fully routed networks, this is not ideal for large complex geographically disperse segregated WAN/VLAN networks.

Having the ability to configure a "Lansweeper Service" server to target scans on a AD Site by AD Site basis would be a preference.

My question is, will this be a consideration to truly scale the product? If not, how will the issue described above be addressed?

Next version (4.0) will have the possibility to store different active scanning configurations for different servers in the database. The current version shares this data.

You can have:
Server1 scanning domainA and reporting to the database
server2 scanning domainB one ou and reporting to the database
paprita
Champion Sweeper
I think I'll wait the new version ... otherwise I'll make a complete second installation of lansweeper (with a new db) making a night procedure for syncronize the old one.
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

A possible solution for this that seems to work fine for me when I did some tests was to simply take a backup of your current database for safety reasons, and install Lansweeper without the Database service on another server. Just make sure to point to the first Lansweeper installation's computer and you should have 2 Lansweeper applications using the same database. Simply go to the configuration console of the second one and remove active scanning.
If anything bad comes up you should have a fresh database backup which contains all the information.

Hopefully that helps or at least points in the right direction since I only did it in test mode.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
pentel wrote:
Hi,

A possible solution for this that seems to work fine for me when I did some tests was to simply take a backup of your current database for safety reasons, and install Lansweeper without the Database service on another server. Just make sure to point to the first Lansweeper installation's computer and you should have 2 Lansweeper applications using the same database. Simply go to the configuration console of the second one and remove active scanning.
If anything bad comes up you should have a fresh database backup which contains all the information.

Hopefully that helps or at least points in the right direction since I only did it in test mode.

This works but this will you disabled active scanning on both servers.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Now it's possible but a bit tricky if you use active scanning.
Next version wil support this so you can have multiple configurations all pointing to the same database.
paprita
Champion Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Now it's possible but a bit tricky if you use active scanning.

I'd like to use 2 lansweeper services but just one in active mode ... do you see any problem?

Lansweeper wrote:
Next version wil support this so you can have multiple configurations all pointing to the same database.

Great ...