cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RicktheITGuy
Engaged Sweeper
At my workplace its rather small, instead of just using a small program to go computer to computer inventorying the computers hardware/software configuration, they tasked me with trying to find a program to use that would do this for us. At the moment we have a small 40 or 50 computer network setup with no domain structure implemented. Can Lansweeper still work without a domain infrastructure and if so, how do you get the initial scan to happen? I have LS installed on Server 2008 with SQL Express installed and configured.

We can get two of our computers to appear in the LS Management console, but the computer icons appear red, and when we check the error log it says:

6/30/2008 12:12:15 PM : ANTHONY
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007054B): The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007054B)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007054B): The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007054B)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
ANTHONY\Anthony

Anthony is the name of one of the XP Pro computers that we were able to run the LSClient on, but no additional information is present. I ran the connection test on both of the PC's that we ran LSClient on, the machine from the above error message we also get:

Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
Remote WMI access test FAILED
Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
Remote \\192.168.0.66\c$ access test FAILED

Now the questions that I have might be a bit tricky to pull off and may or may not be supported. But we have no active directory environment for over half of the company, and the other half have basics like exchange accounts on our mail server and things of that nature. None of the computers are part of our AD Environment, and this is because some of our PCs are running XP Home(Yes I know, this is what happens when they thing cheaper is better) So for the lack of a better term were SOL atm with using a Domain environment until we can upgrade our PCS. So, now that I have digressed quite a bit, is I know because XP Home lacks the WMI feature that the XP Pro version has, would this make it impossible for LS to be able to scan those computers?

Also since we are not on a AD Domain infrastructure would it even be possible to use LS on our LAN? If I had to I could write up a batch file to run the LSClient on all computers and manually update all the computers Startup folders so that no matter which account was being used it would run LSClient(Yet another downfall of not having AD).

I know there may be circumstances here quite out of reach of my force of power to fix, if ANYBODY knows of any information that may be able to help me out with this situation or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Also one more quick problem, now LS is missing all its preconfigured reports and scan items from any and all the tabs in the management console, is there any way other than reinstalling to get them back?
2 REPLIES 2
RicktheITGuy
Engaged Sweeper
Yeah I figured it wouldnt work. And the fact that almost 80% of our machines run XPH, it was a waste of time to keep trying to find an app that would do a network inventory. The lack of the WMI feature with home edition pretty much screwed us over. Small companies are a pain sometimes. But I apprecaite the reply...=)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm sorry, but you won't get it to work without a domain or trust.