cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paprita
Champion Sweeper
I've already read this problem in another close topic ...

To All

I am new to Lansweeper 3.51 and I have looked thru several topics before posting this question .. I have loaded an XP Professional sp-3 box with SQL Express .. no problem and connected the box to our Microsoft Domain.. when I go to install Lansweeper .. on the forth page the prompt is:

Lansweeper service needs an administrative Windows account in order to run :

Username dhec\bbmadmin
Password ***
confirm password ***

The user 'bbmadmin' has been given Administrator rights on the box .. included in the administrator local machine ..
when I put the dhec\bbmadmin and the password .. I get a setup error

Setup has detected that user "bbmadmin" has no administrative rights on :DHEC" domain. In order to have lansweeper service up and running, it must be configured to run under an administative account!

Setup can continue with this issue but is highly recommended to be fixed!

I am at a loss .. this is a XP professional box with sp-3 freshly re-formatted .. and I can assure you the bbmadmin AD account has administrative privdliges on the local box.

Any ideas or work arounds ??

I've the same problem with service and DB staying on 2 windows 2008R2 servers ... what can I do?
I'm sure that user is a domain admin ...
20 REPLIES 20
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
So far this error hasn't been reported.
It only happens when the query really times out because of the DC not available.
paprita
Champion Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
So far this error hasn't been reported.
It only happens when the query really times out because of the DC not available.

Yes, I understand you ... but the problem is that I know for sure that our DC are available ... as a matter of fact all the net work properly and under Windows 2003 Lansweeperservice can reach DC ...

In my organization there is a Microsoft engineer working for us and we have a continuos relationship with him and his society ... today he told me that it could be useful to open a case in order to find a solution ... I'll do this tomorrow and, if positive, Ill give you the solution for further users who will have the same problem ...
paprita
Champion Sweeper
I'm going to open a case to Microsoft ...
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Incorrect DNS lookup or network settings could explain the problem.
(PS. ipv6 is enabled by default in win2008R2)
paprita
Champion Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Incorrect DNS lookup or network settings could explain the problem.
(PS. ipv6 is enabled by default in win2008R2)

Now IPv6 is disable and DNS doesn't have any problem (with Lansweeper on Windows 2003 it work greatly and with other applications under Windows 2008R2 too) ... now, on a Windows 2008R2 I have virtualized a Windows 2003 and it work perfectly ...

Does anyone use Windows 2008R2 and has same or similar problems?

Thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The microsoft article doesn't apply if you use the "full" active directory (which you probably do)
Could be a dns setting on windows 2008 or ipv4/ipv6 problem
paprita
Champion Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
The microsoft article doesn't apply if you use the "full" active directory (which you probably do)

Probably true but I have to ask to systems team

Could be a dns setting on windows 2008 or ipv4/ipv6 problem

All address on IPv4 are correct (IP, subnet mask, gateway, DNS1 and 2, WINS) and we don't use IPv6 yet ...
DNS server is a Windows 2003 server ... do you think this could be a problem?
What do you intend with "dns setting on windows 2008"?

Edit: in this post you say that the error I found is because domain controller server can't be reached ... well, I can reach it with Windows 2003 server and I can't with Windows 2008R2 server ... which differences you know about these two O.S. that justify this error?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Win2008R2 works without a problem.
The timeout (and authentication) could be caused by a firewall issue
paprita
Champion Sweeper
To understand the problem now I try to explain you the entire situation.

Background: my network is based on some hundred of server with Windows 2003 technology, geographically distributed on the entire national territory.

In order to use Lansweeper now I have 2 new Intel servers as follow:
- 2 CPU quadcore;
- 4 GB RAM;
- 4 HD 73GB SAS 15k rpm raid 1+0
- Windows 2008R2 Standard Ed.

One server is user just for SQL 2008 and it works.
In the second one I have installed Lansweeper service with Windows firewall completely off; web part is in another web service, and it works too.

With this configuration Lansweeper doesn't work properly ... sometime can reach A.D. but normaly it can't and in errorlog I found lots of messagges like

20/11/2009 10:40:38: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

20/11/2009 10:43:43: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

20/11/2009 10:46:46: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

After that I have mounted Hyper-V role and a virtual server on the second server (the one with Lansweeperservice on ... the service was stopped, of course) based on Windows 2003; I have installed a new Lansweeperservice on it ... all the system worked perfectly ... and it was the same phisical server ... for this reason I think we can excude any network problem.

For your information I found this article ... may be interesting ...
Microsoft article

What do you think about this situation?
paprita
Champion Sweeper
I "clicked" and started lansweeperservice.
In errorlog I found lots of following errors:

18/11/2009 21:32:36: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

18/11/2009 21:35:41: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

18/11/2009 21:38:44: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

18/11/2009 21:41:48: System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapDirectoryIdentifier Limite di timeout client superato. Operazione interrotta.

What's the matter?

It seems that lansweeper is not able to have a dialog with domain control servers.

Have you never tryed Lansweeper on Windows 2008R2? Is it possible that for some reason there are some incompatibility problems with this O.S.?

While I'm waiting for your answer I'll mount a Windows 2003 virtual server with lansweeperservice on it to make some tests ...