cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagnusKnight
Engaged Sweeper II
TLDR: Where can I find documentation on creating custom actions?

I have created a few custom actions using the existing ones as examples. I'm trying to create a bit more of a complex one now, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work properly.

Anyway, I have looked at other custom actions that list variables I didn't realize existed, so I'm wondering what other custom action variables there are. I also would like to view the documentation on creating custom actions, but I have been unable to find any thorough documentation. Examples of variables I've noticed that I didn't realize existed are {cn} and {username}.

So my question is, where can I find documentation on creating custom actions, or at least a listing of all variables?

I have searched the forums, the knowledge base, and Google, and haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

EDIT: I did figure out how to make my script properly, so YAY! I am still interested in the documentation if possible though. Thanks again!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
There is currently no article about building custom actions in our KB. We might add one at a later time, but it will not go into detail about building custom scripts, as we can't offer support for this.
Under Configuration\Asset pages, section Asset actions, you can add further asset actions. Do note that asset actions are being executed on the computer you are using to open the web console and under the user account you are logged in to Windows with. If you need to perform more advanced scripts on computers in your network, we rather recommend using the deployment feature of Lansweeper. Our knowledge base contains several articles about how to create and deploy packages.

About the variables in custom actions: You can use the following placeholders in the command which calls your asset action from the asset page of a specific asset:
{actionpath}, {smartname}, {assetname}, {dnsname}, {computer}, {domain}, {tag} (which means serial number), {username}, {userdomain}, {ipaddress}, {fqdn}, {scanserver}, {assetid}

{smartname} changes to IP address, FQDN or Assetname based on asset type.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MagnusKnight
Engaged Sweeper II
Thank you both for your responses.

I looked over the Action Parameters in the action pop-up. I wasn't sure if this was all of the parameters, or just an example of some. I'm thinking this is a full list though.

I was also trying to follow how these variables are stored in memory during the action process so that I can pass them to other commands. I did figure out it fortunately though.

I appreciate the feedback, and thank you for making such an awesome product as Lansweeper!
MagnusKnight wrote:
I looked over the Action Parameters in the action pop-up. I wasn't sure if this was all of the parameters, or just an example of some. I'm thinking this is a full list though.

Yep, it's a full list.

Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Just an FYI: available parameters are listed in the popup you see when hitting the Add Asset Action or Add User Action button.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
There is currently no article about building custom actions in our KB. We might add one at a later time, but it will not go into detail about building custom scripts, as we can't offer support for this.
Under Configuration\Asset pages, section Asset actions, you can add further asset actions. Do note that asset actions are being executed on the computer you are using to open the web console and under the user account you are logged in to Windows with. If you need to perform more advanced scripts on computers in your network, we rather recommend using the deployment feature of Lansweeper. Our knowledge base contains several articles about how to create and deploy packages.

About the variables in custom actions: You can use the following placeholders in the command which calls your asset action from the asset page of a specific asset:
{actionpath}, {smartname}, {assetname}, {dnsname}, {computer}, {domain}, {tag} (which means serial number), {username}, {userdomain}, {ipaddress}, {fqdn}, {scanserver}, {assetid}

{smartname} changes to IP address, FQDN or Assetname based on asset type.