cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
Hello! Alright, I've done an exhaustive search through these forums and through Google even. I'm running a Windows 2003 Server environment with Windows XP / Vista clients. I've changed my group policy to allow Remote Administration on every computer through the firewall. I can do a tracert to the effected computers with no issues at all. I've checked the COM+ security settings and didn't see anything out of the ordinary and have followed the steps in previous posts.

Here are the two elusive error messages:
1. The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
2. The network path was not found.

What's really strange is that some of the computers with error #1 still report back and I have all the information for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The product is great, and I hope that there's a solution because I'd love to keep using it!
10 REPLIES 10
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
It's always difficult to find out if a "lansweeper problem" or a "user problem"
Most of the time it's a user/configuration problem, but I want to be sure.

I am not a native english speaker so I had to look up the word "culprit" in a dictionary 😉
I take the "pepsi challenge" with a real commercial product any time
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
Alright, I believe the problem has been solved. Part of it was a group policy issue not being applied the way it should. It's supposed to update every 90 minutes or so, but it doesn't seem to do that. I really didn't want to go from computer to computer to update my group policy so I'll probably just add the gpupdate command in the login script for a night and then take it out the next day. Seems a bit ridiculous to have to do it that way, but whatever, such is the way of Windows I suppose. Thankfully, we can rule out your program as a culprit here! Thank you so much for your help and keep up the good work!

For any others having this issue, please check your group policy results and find a workstation you can do a quick gpupdate /force command on. It worked for me. Red computers are disappearing slowly but surely.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You have created a group policy to allow remote administration, correct?

Did you allow the subnet of the lansweeper server?

1) Try "gpresult" on these computers to check if they applied the policy.
2) try "gpupdate /force" to force the policy to apply.

Try the connectiontester again afterwards
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
It also allows access to the root directory. The error message is different, but that only means it matches the same error as above for the RPC server that the majority of the computers get.
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote WMI access test FAILED
The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
When you try the client connection tester, do you get the same error?
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
I tried upgrading one of the XP machines to SP3 and still receive the same error: the network path was not found.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Are there any Windows XP SP3 machines affected?

Check out this microsoft KB : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935677/ it's fixed in SP3
IT_Support5
Engaged Sweeper
Reverse lookup is fine for the effected computers: they all resolve to the correct name.

The Vista computers are working fine. I should've mentioned this before. There was an initial problem, but I found a solution in a different thread. As you stated, the remote registry service was not on.