→ The Lansweeper Customer Excellence Awards 2024 - Submit Your Project Now! Learn More & Enter Here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zcapr17
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

First, let me say that Lansweeper is an excellent bit of software. 🙂

I have it running successfully in my 100-client AD domain, however it doesn't seem to be working for a few clients.
In the Server Errorlog, I get the following messages:

"010 01/03/2005 17:09:44 (*) client.domain.com The RPC server is unavailable."

It seems to be happening only with some Windows 2000 Pro machines, all other machines are working fine.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Z.
5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
maybe this thread can help you :
http://forum.lansweeper.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=25
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I use it the other way around :
If a client has problems RPC or something, this means that the dns settings are not correct or something else.
I use these error logs to correct the dns problem.

Dns is afterall the cornerstone of your Active Directory network
Bill_S
Engaged Sweeper
We are having the same problem. In looking thru our DNS server it is clear many of our workstations are not registered in theDNS Server. We might could fix the problem on our end but a simple fix would be to follow the suggestion that when the client connects the server records it's IP and doesn't rely on DNS to find the Client again.

Many thanks for a truly neat and helpful program!!
zcapr17
Engaged Sweeper
Solved it, it was a DNS problem. The hosts that weren't working were not registering themselves in the DNS, hence the server was unable to resolve their domain names.

I suggest that Lansweeper is updated so that when a client connects the server records it's IP and doesn't rely on DNS to find the Client again.

Z.
ddion
Engaged Sweeper
I got this error on computers protected with a Firewall or where the account used did not have rights.

Dany