cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoffmanj
Engaged Sweeper
I am evaluating lansweeper and am considering purchasing the premium verison for our school.

I have sucessfully scanned an XP & Windows 7 computer, but I'm having trouble scanning a 64-bit vista computer. They're all getting the same group policy firewall settings, so I'm not sure why some would work and this one would not. They are all, including the server, on the same subnet. I haven't expanded my test out of this subnet.

Thanks,

Jared
7 REPLIES 7
hoffmanj
Engaged Sweeper
I may have found it. Vista has a Windows Management INstrumentaiton (WMI) firewall exception that I was able to turn on. I'm testing it now.

Jared
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
take a look at the knowledgebase, make sure dcom is enabled and that WMI is working.
Lansweeper wrote:
take a look at the knowledgebase, make sure dcom is enabled and that WMI is working.

I'm still not sure what's going on. I've found that this problem isn't just 64 bit, its 32 and 64 bit vista. It works fine with the windows 7 machine I inventoried.

Our Vista & XP machines get the same group policy. When I disable the firewall on Vista it is scanable, but when I turn it back on, I get the "The RPC Server is unavailable 0x800706BA" error again.

Is there a specific application and/or port that I need to open? It seems odd that it is different on XP & Vista (and windows 7 behaving like XP).

I've taken one of my test vista machines out of group policy so I can tweak the firewall rules manually (right now they're an exact copy of our group policy settings). If you have suggestions to tweak in the firewall, I can easily test them on that machine.

Jared
hoffmanj
Engaged Sweeper
here it is
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
When you click on the computer page you should see the "error" tab, could you post a screenshot of this.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Which error do you get?
Lansweeper wrote:
Which error do you get?

On the client computer, nothing happens, other than the "success" message when you run LSClient. Then when I look on the server, it shows up as a not-scanned computer.

When I run the connection tester I get the following:

Remote WMI test
----------------------
\root\cimv2 Remote WMI access test FAILED
Invalid namespace

Remote Registry test using WMI
-------------------------
\root\default Remote WMI access test FAILED
Invalid namespace

The odd thing is it has the same group policy settings as the others I've scanned, so the firewall should be exactly the same. What ports, apps and services should I check for?

I have a call in to get it taken out of the standard group policy so I can custom set the firewall to see if that's the case, but I can't try that till next week.