cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzoom
Engaged Sweeper
Hi, I have recently got Lansweeper up and running and have a question. How do you do a scan without loading the client software? is this done through the web interface or the Gui console?

according to the website

"Lansweeper does not need to install a client on your workstations, all scanning is done through the use of WMI, fileshares and remote registry access."

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Make sure that the account running your service has administrative permissions on your clients. (most people use a domain administrator account)

Did you check with the connectiontester for this computer?
Lansweeper wrote:
Make sure that the account running your service has administrative permissions on your clients. (most people use a domain administrator account)

Did you check with the connectiontester for this computer?

the connectiontester worked fine.. I'll check the account problem.. we've got another inventory application but we wanted to try this one too..since it seems so good 😛 we had a problem on the other app that we didn't get access.. we're doing the logon script right now.. (you don't happen to be good at vbScript? xD ) and with that the domain admin account should be available on all computers to use
mickwald
Engaged Sweeper
sorry to steal this thread but I think my problem might be along these lines...when I run the LSClient.exe on client computers they show up in the database but they show as red and I don't get any information on them.

this is my error.txt in the Service Folder

2008-03-05 12:26:19 : computer1
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper30.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper30.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
computer1\Administrator
2008-03-06 16:40:08 : computer1
computer1\Administrator
2008-03-06 16:40:35 : computer2
domain\user
2008-03-06 16:46:44 : computer2
domain\user
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm guessing there is no way to have the LanSweeper server just scan the network looking for PCs and remotely run the client on them or something like that?

No, the idea behind lansweeper is that you have to use lsclient (the scheduling part was only implemented later)
This will make sure that you also discover firewalled clients (which you will never find with software that just scans your IP ranges/network)
jzoom
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks I got it working, looking forward to using Lansweeper!
gsvarney
Engaged Sweeper
jzoom wrote:
Thanks I got it working, looking forward to using Lansweeper!

Hi,
I just got LanSweeper set up today and it's working. However, I'm still confused about hwo to do exactly what you're doing. I want to have LanSweeper scan my network for computers. I am able to run lsclient and have it report to the server, but is there a way to schedule a scan of the network without filling in computer names? I can use a logon script with lsclient, but it looks like in the "Scheduled scanning" section of the management console I need to schedule specific computer names. I'm guessing there is no way to have the LanSweeper server just scan the network looking for PCs and remotely run the client on them or something like that?

Thanks,
Geoff
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
After you entered the information, the service will pick this up in the next hour and start scanning.
jzoom
Engaged Sweeper
This is what I would like to do, I would like to scan all of our systems on the network without having to do anything to the client workstations (scan from the server). So your saying that I can use the Scheduled scanning option (located in the GUI console?) to do this? After I enter the computer name,domain and X days in the required fields how do I trigger the scanning? Is there any documention on how to do this?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the replys
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
No, easiest in to place the lsclient.exe in a startup script.

You can also use scheduled scanning (without the use of the lsclient)