cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
Hello,

We bought lansweeper on 7/30/13, it scanned and was able to see 121 computers on our domain. The next day it scanned with the same result. Then on 8/1 we were unable to scan 19 computers, all stating:

Access Denied
Local (.\administrator), Global (rti-cad-cam\Administrator)
08/21/2013 08:31:04

Here's what I've already ruled out:
OS Updates: Of the 19 machines 9 are win 7, 6 are XP, 2 are win 2000, and 2 are Win 2008 R2
IP Address: They are in controlled blocks, based on role, and these 19 are in 5 different blocks. We use DHCP, and I have verified no IP changes occurred for the servers.
Credentials: I am able to use the same credentials and gain access to the admin share, as well as control/edit the machines.
Time: I have verified the system time is within a min of the domain.
Firewall: Our windows policy turns off local firewalls.
Connection: I ran the Lansweeper connection test on them and they are all fine.

Any ideas??
12 REPLIES 12
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Perhaps someone changed the RTI-CAD-CAM\ADMINISTRATOR password back to the original one, the one set in Lansweeper. Removing other credentials should have absolutely no impact on the "access denied" error you were seeing.

RTI-CAD-CAM\ADMINISTRATOR was generating the "access denied", which points to an invalid password, given that your connection test showed no issues for the same credential. We requested that you resubmit this credential's password several times by the way.
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
I understand where youre coming from, but removing the local .\admin account was the only change I made.

Since our original install, I have NOT re-submitted the global administrator credential in LS. LS is still using the same one from 7/30/13. The only thing I did was remove the .\admin account and it started working.

Either way its working now, so I'm good.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
For whatever reason, Lansweeper will not allow me to drag the global credential to the the top so the global credential was being treated as a secondary.

This is expected behavior and should not be the cause of the problem. Global credentials are tried if all other credentials of the same type have failed. RTI-CAD-CAM\ADMINISTRATOR is used for all of your Windows computers, if no other credentials can access your machines. The first error page you showed us clearly indicates that Lansweeper tried to scan using RTI-CAD-CAM\ADMINISTRATOR. Most likely you submitted an incorrect password for RTI-CAD-CAM\ADMINISTRATOR within Lansweeper however, as stated in our previous emails/posts.
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
Well I solved the problem today. Support e-mailed me last night and again asked that I re-submit the administrator credential. I was ready to take it a step further and I went in to remove all credentials and start fresh, then I noticed a pop up message (as shown in the screenshot) stating to drag the credential to change its scan priority.

For whatever reason, Lansweeper will not allow me to drag the global credential to the the top so the global credential was being treated as a secondary. I removed the local (.\administrator) account and rescanned the problem assets. They all scanned. This tells me the local admin account is not active, which may very well be, but it also tells me that the hierarchy system of scanning credentials is not working within Lansweeper.

I'm just happy to have it solved but if I could ask one more question, my question to Lansweeper would be, why can't the global credential be #1?

Thank you,
Ed
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
Just sent it in all in. Thanks!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Please contact support@lansweeper.com and provide us with new copies of the items requested in our initial post. (Use the same sample machine as before and query its NetBIOS name for your connection test.)

Your scanning credentials must use the format NetBIOS domain name\username. Rockfordtoolcraft.local is your domain's DNS name, not its NetBIOS name. NetBIOS domain names don't contain periods.
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
Ok I added another domain admin account, this time rti-cad-cam\admin, and rescanned the assets. Now those same 19 state RPC Unavailable. Very strange that all 19 rejected the password, and now all 19 show RPC Unavailable.

I have followed your RPC troubleshooting guide and even though I have a "pass" status for each step, I am still unable to scan these 19 computers.

I ran the connection tester, all green.
Windows firewall is disabled on all machines.
No third part firewalls are running, and some of these machines don't even have anti-virus.
DNS has no problems resolving.
Reverse DNS no problems.
Able to ping fully qualified name of the computer.
Able to ping IP address.
Remoted to each machine and verified windows time is within 1 min of the server.

What else can I try?

Thank You,
Ed

PS I notice that I cannot use the full domain name in the add credentials field, when I try to add rockfordtoolcraft.local\administrator lansweeper states 15 character max and refuses the entry. Looking at the server log, those computers that lansweeper won't scan have all resolved to the full domain name, and those that have scanned are using the abbreviated name, does this mean anything?

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Your Errorlog.txt file clearly indicates that there is a credentials issue. Please resubmit your credentials' passwords under Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Credentials and rescan your machines afterwards.

Your connection test didn't reveal any scanning issues, while the asset's Lansweeper webpage did for the same credential. The only possible explanation for this behavior is that you submitted a different password within Lansweeper.

Note that we cannot provide technical support over the phone.
RTI_IT
Champion Sweeper
Hello,

I'm a little concerned about how quick you are to close this matter. As I stated in our e-mails the credential was not changed.

I provided lansweeper with two credentials. The first credential being used is our domain administrator account, which is able to log in to every machine in our company, and the second being the computers local administrator account.

As covered in our in e-mail conversation, there are 19 computers that lansweeper claims reject both passwords, however two of these computers are servers that I log into almost daily using that same name/password. Also covered in our e-mail, I explained that when I physically go to these machines both credentials work and I am able to log in, as well as access/modify the machines remotely using that same credential.

I would like to escalate this up if possible. I can be reached directly at 815-316-8818.

Thank you,
Edward Blanchard