cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bob_11
Engaged Sweeper III
OK so i realize this is a little off, but we have avaya equip. on our network amoung other propietary equipment that is not scannable. so i see that it uses dns and makes a general asset entry for the device which is great but there is no way for the network mapping to then map it to a switch port becuase there is no field to add a MAC address manually. so from the mac-table on the switch it shows the correct mac address for the switch port, but never maps it to the asset in lansweeper becuase that asset doesnt have a MAC. Is this feature hiden somewhere and im just missing it.. it would seem like this would be an important feature. thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
In a future Lansweeper version you will be able to manually insert MAC addresses, but we do not yet have a release date for this feature.
bob_11
Engaged Sweeper III
thank you for agreeing.. i currently have 30+ devices that just show mac addresses. i have found a half work around which is to trace the mac address and add a custom field to the asset with the mac addres. so if im looking to know what device it is i copy the mac from the switch and paste it in the search...

an easy fix for this from a programing standpoint is to have the CAM table entry that is gathered from SNMP compare not only to a mac address of an asset to make a mapping but also to a custom field, this way no further fields are needed but we can get a more complete switch mapping.... this should only be one extra function and one loop to run through each custom field...
crashcarr
Engaged Sweeper
We would find this useful as well. We would like to manually add our Shoretel VOIP phones due to them not being able to be scanned in any standard way.
bob_11
Engaged Sweeper III
OK so its expected so whats the work around. as i cant imagine im the only one that has run in to this out of 10000 companies
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
This is expected behavior. You cannot manually add MAC addresses to assets.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now