cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSPR
Engaged Sweeper

Does anybody have experience, or is there a proper way, to scan or import the current MAC addresses of IP's on different subnets than the LS server is on? That would avoid duplicate assets and provide info about the switchports assets are patched in to. I don't want to give my LS server a NIC on all subnets.

I can fetch MAC addresses with their IP's from the central DHCP server, or firewall API, in a Python script. Both I can transform to a CSV or XML file. But how do I properly import the ip-mac address data in LS?

I could also imagine having LsAgents relaying their local subnet ARP info. Doesn't seem to be supported.

3 REPLIES 3
Tim_N
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

JSPR,

From my experience (prior to working at Lansweeper) when I deployed on one subnet but wanted to scan another, I had to make sure the corporate firewall allowed and passed all my requests and traffic. 

Have you tried modifying the firewall to ensure all requests and traffic is routed correctly? Here's an article about ports used by Lansweeper: Ports scanned or used by Lansweeper Requirements - Lansweeper Community

Another idea is to install the LsAgent -- not that anyone likes more software to manage...but it's another option available to you. Installing LsAgent on a Windows computer - Scanning your network - Lansweeper Community

And, another is LsPush that can be configured. Introduction to the LsPush scanning agent for Windows - Scanning your network - Lansweeper Community

Tim N.
Lansweeper Employee
Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

MAC addresses are retrieved via the open protocols on the assets, but if there are no open protocols, we will use the ARP table of your Lansweeper scan server.  If your Lansweeper scan server is in another subnet than most of your assets, the MAC address cannot be obtained from the ARP table either.

You could install a scanning server per subnet to get around this: https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/installation/setting-up-an-installation-with-multiple-scanning-s...

Thanks but installing a windows server with lansweeper server on it on each vlan to essentially just fetch and update some 30-100ish MAC addresses, seems like a rather inefficient and also expensive solution. 

I'm now testing this script which seems to do the job: 

https://ethanthekiwi.wordpress.com/2020/05/09/lansweeper-get-asset-mac-addresses-from-every-subnet/

I think importing mac addresses from DHCP, firewalls or remote lsagents on other subnets could really be a good feature to add in the future.