cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swsswr
Engaged Sweeper III

Hi,

till today I just hat one scanning server at on site. I created some credebtials under "my credentials"

2024-03-22 09_47_40-SWITS UserDSK TG - Desktop Viewer.png

These credentials where automatically mapped to the scanning server "Surface TG"

2024-03-22 09_49_23-SWITS UserDSK TG - Desktop Viewer.png

But inside the newly created scan server the credentials are not available.

2024-03-22 09_50_09-SWITS UserDSK TG - Desktop Viewer.png

Is this as expected and if so - why? Does not make sense to me. I don't want to create the credentials again for each scanning server.

cheers, swsswr

3 REPLIES 3
ErikT
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

@swsswr 

This is to be expected as typical additional scanning servers are deployed to scan different parts of the network, often requiring different credentials.

swsswr
Engaged Sweeper III

@ErikT 

Well, maybe often, but not always 😉 I find it pretty anoying to setup the same credentials over and over again for each target. Please take this as a suggestion for improvemnet on your software. Thx

If you deploy an additional on prem installation with its own separate database and scanning server and link it to your cloud site then yes, credentials cannot be shared between these installations. That's because the credentials are stored in said local database (since time in memorial) and LS hasn't changed this functionality to account for their cloud solution.

However, if you add a scanning server to an existing on prem installation, this server will be able to make use of existing credentials. That does of course require you to be using a SQL Server database on prem (not SQL LocalDB) and the new scanning server needs to be able to connect to your existing on prem database.

It sounds like in your case you deployed an additional on prem installation and linked it to your existing cloud site, you didn't just add a scanning server. You're not going to be able to make use of your existing credentials in that scenario.

So you're left with the option of instead adding an additional scanning server to the installation with your credentials or recreating all of your credentials for your new on prem installation.

The support response that this is intended is a bunch of bologna, it's just a natural result of evolving from an on prem software suite and haphazardly porting/hacking it into a cloud solution. This is a scenario they haven't accounted for and at best are retroactively claiming is intended.