cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhammond
Champion Sweeper
We have assets loosely documented in our Sharepoint site. We also use LANSweeper heavily. The documentation on our Sharepoint site MOSTLY coincides with what LANSweeper picks up, but I would like to make a reference in a custom field to the Sharepoint document that houses the additional data about the asset and its assigned user. The Sharepoint document contains more data about the asset and user that LANSweeper simply can't pick up, like special notes about the setup, etc.

As it stands, if I simply copy and paste the link to the Sharepoint document into the Custom Field, marked as HYPERLINK, it just lists the entire 100- to 200- character string across the asset page. I would like to just be able to click a link (or heck, get crazy and make it a button or icon) that takes me to our Sharepoint site. The link to the document is so long, it won't let me edit any of the text field if I start to type the <a href... HTML coding.

I know I could just add the data to the Comments section of the Asset Page, but prior to LS, this was our primary source for asset tracking and it's years in development - so it would not be a good use of time to copy all of the info per asset into the Comments section. I feel it would be easier to simply link to it for reference

Is this even possible?

Does it make sense what I'm asking?
4 REPLIES 4
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
What you can do is create an action that links to a search query for your system, if that's possible. Like https://link.com/?s={ipaddress} (or use the smartname,fqdn or dnsname)

Sharepoint example: https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/IT/_layouts/15/search.aspx/siteall?q={ipaddress}
mhammond
Champion Sweeper
The problem is the fact that each asset is "unique" to each entry in Sharepoint.

To clarify a bit - we utilized OneNote in Sharepoint to scan in documentation and to update certain assets with the unique information briefly described in my OP. In making a custom action, I can only get as close as the "section" of the notebook where the asset is housed/documented, and not to the specific page WITHIN the section that actually IS the asset.

It's closer, but I was hoping to somehow jump right to the correct entry per asset.

I'm not able to (or I just don't understand how to) customize an action so that no matter which asset I choose, it opens to the correct page that the asset is on.
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
Cripple.Zero wrote:
The problem is the fact that each asset is "unique" to each entry in Sharepoint.

To clarify a bit - we utilized OneNote in Sharepoint to scan in documentation and to update certain assets with the unique information briefly described in my OP. In making a custom action, I can only get as close as the "section" of the notebook where the asset is housed/documented, and not to the specific page WITHIN the section that actually IS the asset.

It's closer, but I was hoping to somehow jump right to the correct entry per asset.

I'm not able to (or I just don't understand how to) customize an action so that no matter which asset I choose, it opens to the correct page that the asset is on.

+1 to this! I have a QMS where we track assets and who is the responsible party, any work done to them (like warranty repairs and paperwork, etc) Each asset has its own record there(not all assets scanned go there only certain ones) and if we could put a link that allows us to open up that other system link it would be helpful
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Cripple.Zero wrote:
We have assets loosely documented in our Sharepoint site. We also use LANSweeper heavily. The documentation on our Sharepoint site MOSTLY coincides with what LANSweeper picks up, but I would like to make a reference in a custom field to the Sharepoint document that houses the additional data about the asset and its assigned user. The Sharepoint document contains more data about the asset and user that LANSweeper simply can't pick up, like special notes about the setup, etc.

As it stands, if I simply copy and paste the link to the Sharepoint document into the Custom Field, marked as HYPERLINK, it just lists the entire 100- to 200- character string across the asset page. I would like to just be able to click a link (or heck, get crazy and make it a button or icon) that takes me to our Sharepoint site. The link to the document is so long, it won't let me edit any of the text field if I start to type the <a href... HTML coding.

I know I could just add the data to the Comments section of the Asset Page, but prior to LS, this was our primary source for asset tracking and it's years in development - so it would not be a good use of time to copy all of the info per asset into the Comments section. I feel it would be easier to simply link to it for reference

Is this even possible?

Does it make sense what I'm asking?

What about adding it to the asset pages on the left with the other tools you can open etc? That way it could be called as an action.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now