cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Will that work with LSPUSH or just active scanning?

Also, it has Deploy On, so how would that work? One machine is scanned in that group and it scans all or just the one that was scanned?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
LsPush scans can't be used as trigger for deployments. In general, LsPush is designed to be used if you have issues with firewalls or you can't provide scanning credentials with administrator access on scanned computers. These circumstances make remote deployment impossible. Lansweeper needs to be able to contact remote registry service and task scheduler on target computers for deployment.

If you would like to use an executable on network computers to trigger a scan and a deployment, you could use LsClient.exe (which we normally don't recommend as other agentless scanning methods like Active scanning or IP range scanning are much more flexible).

The deployment target ("Deploy On") can either be an asset group (static or dynamic), a report (all assets currently listed by a specific custom report) or a manual selection of assets. Lansweeper will deploy the packages to the computers listed. The "After scanning" schedule would initiate a deployment on one computer which is listed in the target computer after it has been scanned. It doesn't deploy to all assets of the group, only to the computer which was scanned. Details on how to set up deployment schedules can be found in this KB article.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Not a bad idea.

I just found "Asset Collection Scanning" in Scanning Methods. I added one for the dynamic group, to scan every 10 minutes, and an after scan deployment for that same group. Going to see how that goes.
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
That would indeed work.
The query behind a dynamic group is executed every time the schedule hits (in ghelpdesk's case every 15 min).
ghelpdesk
Champion Sweeper
Its a little convoluted but something we have working is a deployment schedule that repeats every 15mins. This schedule is then used for a couple of packages to deploy/uninstall software using a custom report that only lists assets that meet the required criteria (ie: missing a particular program) and have a 'last seen' value of less than 20mins from now. This seems to cover both active and lspush data updates and is prompt enough that it can update computers that are only on for a shorter period of time.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
We have added it to the feature wish-list for the next overhaul of the deployment feature.
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
I 2nd the future request.. Thanks for the explanation what triggers after scan deployment. Would be nice if you could chose in options to enable LSPush to trigger that.
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Thanks Bert. Any idea how much more?

I wonder if you could put in your feature request like to make the "after scan" a "after asset update"? That way any time the asset is updated, even with LSPush, the action runs. Nothing major I guess, but anytime you use less bandwidth, it's a win.

Thanks for all your answers!
Bert_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
LSPush uses the least amount of bandwidth
Active/server Scanning and LSClient => same amount of bandwidth, but more than LSPush

What LSCient basically does is say to the server 'Hey, please scan me'.
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
Awesome, thanks for your help!

Final question. Have you done any testing internally on which uses more bandwidth? Pushing with the lspush to the server or the server scanning (active or with lsclient)?
sullivane
Champion Sweeper III
So the difference is that the client will tell the server to scan the computer, whereas the push will scan the computer and update the server?

So if I switch to the client, and have a schedule deployment (to a group that doesn't have java for example) for after scan, will it deploy to the whole group or just the client that was scanned if it's in that group?

Thanks for your help!