→ Having trouble accessing our new support portal or creating a ticket? Please notify our team here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
random_name
Engaged Sweeper

We are actively deploying LS to our dozens of plants and have encountered a problem. Since some plants use the same private IP address space within their respective VLANs, Lansweeper is generating the following error when we attempt to create an IP address range location for an IP range that already exists as an IP address range location in LS.

Error: "Error while saving: The IP range overlaps with an existing one."

Many, if not most, of our plants will have IP addresses that are redundant with other plants so we need to understand how to get around this. I would have thought that multiple IP Address Range Locations could exist w/ the same IP subnet as long as the name is different. 

2 REPLIES 2
random_name
Engaged Sweeper

We actually have separate scanners per plant already reporting back to a central LS server which in turn reports to the cloud portal. An IP Address Range Location established for a particular subnet for Plant X with scan server X cannot be created because Plant Y with scan server Y already has an IP Address Location defined for that same subnet. The use of separate scan servers does not prevent this error.

Tim_N
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

Oh, ya, that's going to pose a problem with a single scan engine/environment/configuration-platform. 

My suggestion would be to deploy a scan engine in each environment. I know this is a hassle and means you have to manage more systems.  It would also mean you don't have a single pane of glass to view your assets -- *you may want to confirm with your sales rep about using the same license key for all of your sites*. BUT (sales pitch not intended) this is where our Lansweeper Cloud Sites can pull it all together for you by syncing each server and it's scanned assets into a single platform.  

So, another idea might be to target your active directory for that specific location... or the OU for that location. Of course, this solution means you aren't doing IP ping/discovery on the same-numbered IP ranges. 

Hope this helps.

Tim N.
Lansweeper Employee