cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svp
Engaged Sweeper
Hi

We are currently using Lansweeper 5.0.0.81.
We monitored network traffic generated due to asset scanning by Lansweeper Service.
We have tested on multiple clients with always the same results; manually rescanning assets generates following traffic on the client side :

- down = 48 MB !
- up = 3 MB

Where is this execssive traffic coming from ?

After testing with all "item wait time" properties we eventually found that 2 items are responsible for 47 MB of the total of 48 MB of network traffic :

- Installed software scanning --> generates 43 MB of network traffic on client !
- Software License Key scanning --> generates 13 MB of network traffic on client !

Why is so many network traffic generated for these two items ? what is really happening during that scan ? solution (besides disabling of course) ?

We are scanning about 400 computers located on different premises; this excessive traffic poses a big problem on our WAN-connections since we only have 1 Lansweeper-server for everything.

FYI : lspush-scan on the client generates only 40 KB of data sent to lansweeper-server; I coulld not find what is not scanned with this method ?

best regards

Stefaan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Cause:
Registry scanning with WMI generates much traffic (nothing we can do about this, the protocol overhead is huge.

Solution:
Use Lspush for remote sites or add an additional scanning server in the remote site.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
svp
Engaged Sweeper
Ok. That is good news.
We are using lspush with direct server connection via AD login script.
Many thanks for your feedback !
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
If you use lspush with direct server connection: the settings are retrieved from the server.
If you use lspush standalone: registry and file scanning is not available.
svp
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the suggestion.

However Lspush seems to me a standalone scanning tool.
Is it correct to say that Lspush is unaware of all the scan settings defined on the Lansweeper-server such as item wait time, custom file scanning, custom registry scanning, and so on ? or does Lspush contacts the Lansweeper-server before starting his local scan (which I doubt since it can scan and save results to local file) ?

I have to be 100% sure that clients on remote sites are scanned correctly.
In other words : what is scanned with Lspush and especially what is NOT scanned with Lspush ?

Best regards

Stefaan
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Cause:
Registry scanning with WMI generates much traffic (nothing we can do about this, the protocol overhead is huge.

Solution:
Use Lspush for remote sites or add an additional scanning server in the remote site.