cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sylvie
Engaged Sweeper III
Hello,

After some times testing Lansweeper in a test environment (Windows Server 2012 / SQL Express 2016 / IIS Express 8.0), we just installed Lansweeper in a production environment (Windows Server 2016 / SQL Standard 2016 / IIS Express 8.0 ).

My IT infrastructure department asked me why we had to install IIS Express on a server where IIS 10.0 is natively present.

I searched your forum and found on "old Lansweeper question" Use-IIS-Express-or-IIS where you answer that "there's no real reason to use IIS"

I separately ran the installer of IIS Express 8.0 (the version currently bundled with Lansweeper installer) in order to review the license terms and found this:

If you comply with these license terms, you have the perpetual rights below.
  • INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. One user may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices to design, develop and test your programs.

This is also stated on the Microsoft download page: "IIS 8.0 Express is a simple and self-contained version of IIS 8.0 that is optimized for developers."

For IIS Express version 7.5, Microsoft even clearly states that "Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.5 Express is not supported in a production environment"

IIS Express is clearly designed for developers.

As Lansweeper is inteded to be a important piece of our IT compliance infrastructure in a near future, we just decided to go with the native Windows Server IIS installation.

I post this here as I could not find this information elsewhere on your website.

Regards
3 REPLIES 3
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
I agree with your assessment there. Could be why mine is running the way it is as well 🙂
Sylvie
Engaged Sweeper III
Hello AZHockeyNut,

We just finished configuring IIS 10 on our Windows Server 2016 Standard Lansweeper server.
It's running well indeed.

This topic is about the compliance of IIS Express 8.0 bundled with Lansweeper.

Lansweeper says "there's no real reason to use IIS"; we say "there is a reason : IIS Express should not be used in production environment according to Microsoft's License terms"

Regards

Sylvie
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
My install is on a Native full install of 2016 with IIS and I have full SQL on the back end, works Great! I chose not to put it at the root of the web site as well and that works perfectly.