cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abevelacqua
Engaged Sweeper
I want to create a service account for scanning desktops that is only used for that purpose. I'd prefer not to use an account that is domain administrator. Is there a way to limit the security permissions of the account? I'd like to have just the specific permissions needed.
5 REPLIES 5
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Sorry I miss spoke. It is not a domain admin account but an admin account on the workstations only.

Doesn't have access to AD or any other services. I mentioned domain as its an admin account via the domain. We also have a local admin password, however that hasn't been set on alot of our machines. This has been changed with Lansweeper but we still have a few remaining.
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
abevelacqua wrote:
I want to create a service account for scanning desktops that is only used for that purpose. I'd prefer not to use an account that is domain administrator. Is there a way to limit the security permissions of the account? I'd like to have just the specific permissions needed.

It still pretty much needs domain admin, we created a service account called ls.scanning
So that there was a separation, i'm sure we could lock it down a bit more etc.
CyberCitizen wrote:
abevelacqua wrote:

It still pretty much needs domain admin, we created a service account called ls.scanning

This is TERRIBLE advice!

No it does NOT need to be a domain admin. The service account only needs to have local admin access on the machine.

FYI: Domain admin accounts have the rights to make changes to your active directory, the service account for running LanSweeper should NOT have these rights.
RobertB wrote:
CyberCitizen wrote:
abevelacqua wrote:

This is TERRIBLE advice!

No it does NOT need to be a domain admin. The service account only needs to have local admin access on the machine.

FYI: Domain admin accounts have the rights to make changes to your active directory, the service account for running LanSweeper should NOT have these rights.

I am open to other suggestions.
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II
abevelacqua wrote:
RobertB wrote:
CyberCitizen wrote:
abevelacqua wrote:

This is TERRIBLE advice!

I am open to other suggestions.

Create a local admin account on each machine, or, what we did in addition to that was to use GPO to add a specific AD group (you can call it Local_Admin or anything you'd like), then once that GPO "takes hold", add your LS service account to that group. LS service will then have local admin access.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now