cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ
Engaged Sweeper II
I recently upgraded my license to Ultimate mainly to gain access to a second scanning server for a remote office. I followed the directions here. However, I do not have an option to have a second scanning server. Is there another step that I am missing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Just to clarify, the database username and password entered during a Lansweeper installation are the credentials used to make connect to the SQL instance your Lansweeperdb is hosted on or create the database if it doesn't yet exist. These credentials are not then used to complete the connection string in the config file of the service you're installing. We intentionally don't do this as with a new installation an SA account is required, while for connecting your service to your database, a db_owner account (lansweeperuser) is used. If we did use the installation account you'd end up with an account set up for database connections that too high a level of permissions, which would be possible a security concern.

We are constantly evaluating our software though, which includes are installer. Being able to complete the connectionstring from the installer is something that we may be able to add in the future.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Just to clarify, the database username and password entered during a Lansweeper installation are the credentials used to make connect to the SQL instance your Lansweeperdb is hosted on or create the database if it doesn't yet exist. These credentials are not then used to complete the connection string in the config file of the service you're installing. We intentionally don't do this as with a new installation an SA account is required, while for connecting your service to your database, a db_owner account (lansweeperuser) is used. If we did use the installation account you'd end up with an account set up for database connections that too high a level of permissions, which would be possible a security concern.

We are constantly evaluating our software though, which includes are installer. Being able to complete the connectionstring from the installer is something that we may be able to add in the future.
DJ
Engaged Sweeper II
The password was indeed the issue. Thanks!!
mwrobo09
Champion Sweeper
I just ran into this when reinstalling a new scan server in my environment.

I followed the same directions on the new scan server and it installed no problem. Then It would not show up in the main website.

The problem in my case was the password was not correct on the new server. Even though I typed it correctly on the new install and it connected and authenticated correctly. I think this is a bug in the installer. I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\ and opened errorlog.txt to figure out the issue. Then after I noticed the wrong password error, I opened up the Lansweeper.Config and noticed that the first letter in the password was capitalized and it should not be and I know I typed it correctly when I installed the scan server. Check the password and make sure it is correct and save it. Make sure you copied the encryption.txt from your main server. Restart the Lansweeper service on the new scan server and it should show up.