cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfunk1
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello, I have a question about Unknown devices. I have some Linux thin-clients that are running in our environment, they don't have SSH or any open ports open, but I was going to use that to my advantage as a way to find them (any device w/ no open ports probably is this Linux device). Regardless of that, even though Lansweeper sees the device (I check in the logs, and I see Ping OK, no open ports), it is not adding it to the database. I know it can add such devices to the database, because under Unknown Assets there are maybe a dozen devices listed, where Lansweeper really only knows its IP address, and when it was first seen. Why would a device seen and marked in the Logs as Ping OK, no open ports NOT be added to the Unknown Assets section?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper can discover devices in your network that have the SNMP (SNMPv1, SNMPv2 or SNMPv3), SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, SIP, Telnet or JetDirect protocol enabled. If none of these protocols are enabled, the asset will not be scanned and no asset page will be generated. In the 5.2 version that currently is in beta you can check an option so that Lansweeper will also make an asset page if it can only ping the asset.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Yes Lansweeper will try to resolve your ip address to a dns name. So if Lansweeper can resolve the ip address then you will see the DNS name on the summary tab of the asset page.
djl219
Engaged Sweeper
In the 5.2 version that currently is in beta you can check an option so that Lansweeper will also make an asset page if it can only ping the asset.

This is very good news!

Will Lansweeper make an attempt to do any sort of name resolution when it creates this new asset page? (PLEASE!)

gfunk1
Engaged Sweeper II
Ah, exactly what I needed to know, thank you.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper can discover devices in your network that have the SNMP (SNMPv1, SNMPv2 or SNMPv3), SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, SIP, Telnet or JetDirect protocol enabled. If none of these protocols are enabled, the asset will not be scanned and no asset page will be generated. In the 5.2 version that currently is in beta you can check an option so that Lansweeper will also make an asset page if it can only ping the asset.