cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hedgehog
Engaged Sweeper
Hello

Apologies in advance if I'm asking some questions that may have been covered before by I'm a newbie to using Lansweeper. There are two things I'd like to verify:

- When I go to Configuration-Scanning Methods the option Enable Active Scanning is ticked, but what I'm finding is that the scanning isn't taking place automatically. The only way I can find to do this is to go to Dashboard-Hardware-then choose a model of PC and do 'Rescan Assets'. Is there a way to reset automated scanning?

- If you go into Configuration-Scanning Methods and set an OU filter does this mean that Lansweeper should only scan the machines contained with it? I have done this but it still attempts to check the remainder of the domain so when you look at the stats they contain a lot more machines than necessary.

Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
First you need to consider that changing your scanning methods won't change already existing data in your database. If you would like to restrict the number of assets in your database, you first need to change your scanning methods and afterwards delete the assets you don't require. Instructions on how to delete assets can be found here.

Secondly, all scanning methods which you can set up under Configuration\Scanning methods work independently from each other. If you set up OU filters for Active scanning, they will only apply for Active scanning. IP range scanning for example still continues scanning the IP ranges you submitted under section IP Address Range scanning.

Third, Active scanning only picks up computers which recently have been logging on to your domain controllers. Computers which didn't log on during the last 7 days or which logged on to domain controllers that can't be reached from your Lansweeper server won't get scanned. Lansweeper needs to have a connection on port 389/TCP to all relevant domain controllers.
If you would like to scan all computers having an account under a specific OU, you might rather submit the ADSI path of that OU for Scheduled computer scanning. Scheduled computer scanning only needs to contact one domain controller, not all.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
First you need to consider that changing your scanning methods won't change already existing data in your database. If you would like to restrict the number of assets in your database, you first need to change your scanning methods and afterwards delete the assets you don't require. Instructions on how to delete assets can be found here.

Secondly, all scanning methods which you can set up under Configuration\Scanning methods work independently from each other. If you set up OU filters for Active scanning, they will only apply for Active scanning. IP range scanning for example still continues scanning the IP ranges you submitted under section IP Address Range scanning.

Third, Active scanning only picks up computers which recently have been logging on to your domain controllers. Computers which didn't log on during the last 7 days or which logged on to domain controllers that can't be reached from your Lansweeper server won't get scanned. Lansweeper needs to have a connection on port 389/TCP to all relevant domain controllers.
If you would like to scan all computers having an account under a specific OU, you might rather submit the ADSI path of that OU for Scheduled computer scanning. Scheduled computer scanning only needs to contact one domain controller, not all.