cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markojic
Engaged Sweeper
Dear all,

We are working on a new project which includes deployment of the Lansweeper for scanning a big amount of devices (e.g. Win/Mac/Lin workstations, Routers, AP's, VoIP Phones, Printers, etc.).

What hardware specifications would be sufficient for our VM in order to scan ~100.000 assets without any performance issues? Is there a possibility to calculate requirements somehow? I am looking for the best practice, long-term setup for an exponentially growing environment.

I have thought about the following:
Single core CPU - 8 logical processors
8GB RAM
150 GB HDD
Both Lansweeper and SQL Server should be hosted on a single VM (not decided yet).

Thanks!

Regards,
MK
3 REPLIES 3
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Hey I've done this scale...

Use a separate SQL server... it can be a shared one, 16GB it doesn't need much.

Your primary server (web server and scan server) can be a standard 8GB VM with 40 to 60GB boot drive. Nothing special. Personally I find that using IISExpress which is installed by default is better than using your own IIS... certainly makes upgrading the app easier.

Put a remote scan server where efficient, where you can scan the most without traversing WAN or too many HOPS.

The remote scan server can be standard 4GB VM with 40GB boot drive. It's just a windows service, super lightweight and takes 5 minutes to install. If you get 100k license you automatically get a ton of remote scan server licenses.

I scan. Very conservative so lansweeper has never been an issue with LAN saturation. Each WMI thread will take about 15Kb to 45Kbps. I scan windows at 30 simultaneously per scan server. I've had time issues with remote servers in different time zones so I just set the remote server to same time zone as the primary.

If you have good pipes, you can crank it up to 60 each...

Database size depends on how many event logs you maintain for windows machines. In your case, DO NOT enable scanning any event log types other than critical events. Dont do more than 7 to 14 days worth. This is the only thing that will grow your DB and slow down website oerformance.

If you do 7 days, I expect 30 to 60GB. Not much. It's all super light. I had 60 days of event logs and had to truncate the event log history a few times.

markojic
Engaged Sweeper
mwrobo09,

Thanks for your prompt answer. So basically, there is no formula to calculate DB size per asset? Or the Database growth size per asset (annually)?

BR,
M.
mwrobo09
Champion Sweeper
MK,

Your server should be OK, but you might want to add more RAM for SQL Server. I run all three parts (DB, web console and a scan service) on the same virtual server. It has 16GB of ram. Once you get up there in asset count and logs, DB can get large. You might need more space as well. I have about 15000 assets and my DB is 26GB, but I have also been running it for many years and have a lot of history and logs. I don't have access to any of the new features, so those will add more logs and increase the size even more.

We utilize agentless scanning and have remote scan service running in each site. Cuts down on WAN bandwidth considerably to main DB. Plus the service does an IP sweep of all subnets in the site to get all the non windows devices.